Hello!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Kate Q, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Kate Q

Kate Q Active Member

I'm from the US but have been living overseas for a long time, so antiques-wise I have kind of a mixed bag going on. I enjoy looking at antiques, for my own part it's often more of a sentimental connection where I inherit or receive things that belonged to folks in my family and I'm trying to find more information.. but I look forward to seeing what others have found or are interested in!

Thanks,

Kate

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Welcome, Kate. Is the camel a clue to where you are? Or a backyard pet?

3. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

welcome aboard.

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  4. Kate Q

Kate Q Active Member

Not a pet, she's my neighbor! ;) I live in the UAE, and she lives down the street. I took this pic of her a while ago, I think she looks rather fetching...

Bronwen and Bakersgma like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Greetings, Kate!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

7. Bronwen

She is an uncommonly good looking camel. Do you know her name?

8. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Welcome to the forums! Does that UAE have many antique shops? What do people collect there?

9. Kate Q

Kate Q Active Member

No name that I know of, she's part of a larger group (caravan?). I think I should give her a name myself...

Bronwen likes this.
  10. Kate Q

Kate Q Active Member

There are a few antique-type stores that I've seen, depending on your definition of antique. There are places to look for local pieces, but I'm not sure if those qualify as antiques or more vintage? Lots of traditional old carved wooden doors that have been made into glass-top tables, etc. you can also find khanjars (ceremonial daggers) and I really love the older bedouin-style jewelry... I've found some wooden furniture pieces left out for garbage (damaged) that may be considered vintage -- clearly not "modern". I like to upcycle, so whatever I find like that I bring home and repurpose.

Otherwise, because there is such a huge percentage of expats here, you can sometimes find things that people have brought but then decide to sell when they leave, that's another avenue. But I think most antique-hunters here are on the lookout for local ware.

Houseful and Bronwen like this.
  11. Bronwen

I think she should be a contestant in one of those camel beauty competitions they have.

12. Bronwen

I think she should be a contestant in one of those camel beauty competitions they have.

13. Bronwen

14. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted