Featured Help ID my antique rug :)

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Lacey777, Feb 5, 2022.

1. Lacey777

Lacey777 Active Member

Hi there! I have this lovely old rug that I inherited from my MIL (who was from Long Island, NY) and I don't know squat about it. Would love to know it's age and where it was made.

It measures approximately 70" l x 42" w.

20220205_065927.jpg 20220205_065937.jpg 20220205_065931.jpg 20220205_065945.jpg 20220205_070004.jpg

Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I know that thread counts are a telling point. A close-up of the back including a ruler, or a careful count of the number of threads per inch might help someone who knows about these things.

3. Lacey777

Lacey777 Active Member

Will do! As soon as I get back home.

4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Lacey777 likes this.
  5. Lacey777

Lacey777 Active Member

judy likes this.
  6. woofwoof

woofwoof Member

The last one I had resulted in a lot of time consuming research. It had goat hair fringe. I wanted to sell mine so I coughed up 25 bucks and had it professionally appraised, and they were dead on, and I was able to sell it no problemo.

judy and Lacey777 like this.
  7. Lacey777

Lacey777 Active Member

I don't know if this photo is at all helpful. Hope so.

20220205_140940.jpg

judy likes this.
  8. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Oriental rugs are named by the region where their design was first found, with construction technique also important. Yours is a Ferahan design from Iran. Ferahan is close to Hamadan Iran, and shares construction with that region, so sometimes called a Hamadan rug as well. Size of yours is a standard mossul size.

Once traders started having rugs made for sale in the West, and this started in the mid 19th century, that put pressure on rug makers to change designs to make what was salable. And ultimately led to the crazy situation we are in now where a traditional Ferahan design like this can be made in all parts of the world, including China and Afghanistan. But construction and age of yours looks to be from early 20th century, artificial dyes, made in Ferahan or close by.

Oriental rug values have taken a real bath in the US, similar to brown furniture. Have you noticed how many of your local oriental rug stores have gone out of business? Two in my town are gone, leaving none. And the largest and oldest in my region, Arthur Gregorian, who wrote books on rugs, closed a few years ago. Which is why value of one like yours, especially with all the wear and damage it shows, is not going to be much. Maybe a couple hundred? Though an appraisal for replacement cost will of course be much more.

But keep it on your floor and use it (or on the wall which is where it looks to be now), that is the best way to appreciate its obvious beauty.

reader, Born2it, Lacey777 and 2 others like this.
  9. Lacey777

Lacey777 Active Member

Thank you so much for all this information. I'm stoked to know where it came from.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted