Help identifying a cabinet (black lacquer)

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Liana, May 18, 2021.

1. Liana

Liana Member

Morning!

I picked up this cabinet at a recent estate sale. I love everything about it - size, shape and colors. I intent to restore it and was wondering if you can guide me to a reputable DIY source? I already ordered a glass top for it.

Also, I would love to know the age of the cabinet, its origin (Chinese or Japanese), any symbolism behind the stone pieces used in the design, and/or the theme. IMG_8117.jpg IMG_8118.jpg IMG_8122.jpg IMG_8123.jpg IMG_8133.jpg IMG_8120.jpg IMG_8126.jpg IMG_8132.jpg

Thak you so much for your expertise!

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is Chinese, second half of the 20th century, probably 1980-ish.
    It is popular Chinese theme, often called 'Beauties in a Walled Garden' or similar. It is meant to evoke a mood of beauty to please the eye and mind. Which it does.:)

Roaring20s and komokwa like this.
  3. Liana

Liana Member

It sure does. I love it! Thank you :)

After some more research I now think that the carvings are made of soapstone.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They could be, although I have also seen them from that period with plain old plastic.

Draft saved Draft deleted