Featured Help identifying display case/cabinet with humidor

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by jamills96, Apr 27, 2024.

1. jamills96

jamills96 New Member

I inherited this oak and glass display case/cabinet. I want to restore it to original but I cannot find anything that matches it. Any help would be appreciated.

Senior family member said they thought the cabinet was purchased by their dad from the “Old Soldiers’ Home” and was used to put fresh baked bread in. It must be a “Model 80” from whatever manufacturer, since it has “80” stamped on doors and written on underside of shelves. Metal strips are not original.
    IMG_4467-compressed.jpeg IMG_4464-compressed.jpeg IMG_4466-compressed.jpeg IMG_4441-compressed.jpeg IMG_4431-compressed.jpeg IMG_4449-compressed.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 27, 2024
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

$1200 US......you'd think they would suggest a date...... being an antique store, and all !

it's a very handsome piece !!!

Bronwen likes this.
  4. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Note the metal box at the bottom and what looks like a chamber that rises from it. I see that the chamber is completely open opposite the doors. I also see nail/screw holes on it. It may have been screened or louvered on that side.

In leaning towards it being something like a tobacconist store display.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2024
    komokwa likes this.
  5. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

6. jamills96

jamills96 New Member

My wife's uncle said it did have screen on it at one time. He said having the bread cabinet humidified would help the bread stay fresher longer.

I had always assumed it was a tobacco display cabinet too since it was used in a country store, but apparently it was used by the VA first and then repurchased for grocery items.

Roaring20s, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  7. komokwa

I'm down with that.... looks like the sliding windows have a somewhat decent seal to them as well...

8. jamills96

jamills96 New Member

Also said the screen was to keep mice or bugs from getting to the breads.

komokwa likes this.
  9. jamills96

jamills96 New Member

I along with others thought the doors were the front of the cabinet, but when I studied it more, i realized hey are actually the back. The large glass is the front, which would make sense that that would be the side facing the customer.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. komokwa

makes sense.....

11. komokwa

so what's with the metal strips?

12. jamills96

jamills96 New Member

My wife's grandfather added those to help keep it together better. I assume it already has some wear and tear on it coming from the VA (Old Soldiers' Home back then) and I am sure it got its far share more at their country store. He would deliver vegetables from his farm and sell to the kitchen at the Soldiers' Home, so it probably came as a "trade" rather than a cash deal. With all that history, I feel like I have to restore it. (Still waiting to decide if I will put strips back on or not).

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. jamills96

jamills96 New Member

14. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Welcome to Antiquers, jamills :) Nice display case

lovewrens and komokwa like this.
  15. vintagerobin

vintagerobin Well-Known Member

I had a one square, rather than 8, cabinet many years ago. It was oak with a screened side. It was a store's cheese display cabinet. And it definitely was used for cheese from the smell of it.

16. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

JMHO, but it seems odd to me that bread would be kept in a glass cabinet... let alone one with some sort of humidification system. It would kill all the nice crustiness.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted