Featured Help identifying dresser/hutch

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Chase2201, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Chase2201

Chase2201 New Member

Hello everyone.
    I recently purchased an old farmhouse which had a few pieces of furniture left by one of the previous homeowners. All of the furniture looks like antiques to me, however, I have no experience in that area and could be wrong. So any help with identification would be greatly appreciated.
    The photos I currently have aren't the best quality, but I can provide more later.

received_680642375733975.jpeg received_1363759027104921.jpeg received_318113332456231.jpeg

Thanks in advance!

2. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

In America called a "Welsh Cupboard/Dresser" or "Pewter Cupboard" for display of plates but yours looks fairly new, i don't think it's old

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  3. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

May not be old, but keep it if you possibly can!!!

There are the four drawers: 'winter, spring, summer, fall." Obviously for decorative elements peculiar to each season. Plenty of room for your china, double-door section on one side for silver serving pieces, the other one for linens.

:) :) :)

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Given tight placement between door and light switch in what appears to be the foyer, I wouldn't think it was old either. Old or new, useful piece of furniture with lots of "wow" because of scale.

Debora

5. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Agree that it can't be "old" old, but it can't be "new" new either. Who makes furniture that size nowadays??!! :)

6. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

7. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Maybe that's as far as they got it during the move and decided not to take it with them. :):):):)

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Something like... "I can't push this thing another inch. Let's just leave it."

Debora

9. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Exactly:):):)

i need help and James Conrad like this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Addendum... "The new owners can just deal with it."

Debora

11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome to Antiquers, @Chase2201 !

I agree with the others on this. And I would love it if a previous homeowner left me something like that!

All that was left from previous homeowners when I bought a house was an antique upright piano that was left in the basement and is not in playing condition partly due to the moisture down there. And extremely heavy, so I haven't tried to get it out of there.

kyratango, i need help, judy and 3 others like this.
  12. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Figtree, I recently read that people are buying those uprights, gutting them and turning them into bars. You might be able to sell it on Craigslist.

i need help, judy and Figtree3 like this.
  13. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I think we had a thread a couple of years ago where we posted pics of pianos that had been turned into other things. I'll look. There were some good ones!

EDITED... I couldn't find that thread.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  14. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

The lower part (including the knobs) looks a lot like a knotty pine TV armoire that was popular when I bought it in the mid-1990s. The pine/county kook was in back then. Because it’s so big, I like the light pine color.

Figtree3 and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted