Help identifying German Share Mug

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by BlazingTiger, May 10, 2024.

1. BlazingTiger

BlazingTiger New Member

I'm hoping someone can help me identify this German share mug. The maker, the year, anything else. Or if there's somewhere else I should post this that would provide me more/better answers.

The only thing we know about it is it belonged to my father-in-laws grandfather. He had it since my father-in-law was a child. The only marking I can make out on it is "1 1 9 7" engraved on the bottom. Another marking below that I can't make sense of.

Thanks for any information you can provide. Me and my father-in-law are very curious.

Last edited: May 10, 2024
    wlwhittier likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's an odd mug for a child, given it's drinking imagery.

Debora

wlwhittier likes this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

This wasn't a child's mug, but as Tiger says, a share mug, to be passed from one drinker to another.
    It was made in the German Westerwald region, in the west of the country. Very nice quality.

The text is:
    Jss (= Iss) was gar ist,
    Lieb was rar ist,
    Trink was klar ist.

Eat what is cooked,
    Love what is rare,
    Drink what is clear.

4. JB Miller

JB Miller Well-Known Member

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

"It belonged to... since he was a child." Still think an odd possession for a child.

Debora

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Not if no one read German and he liked the mug. Some kids take a liking to, to adults, strange stuff.

BlazingTiger likes this.
  7. BlazingTiger

BlazingTiger New Member

Sorry for the confusion everyone lol. I edited the post. When my father-in-law was a child he grew up admiring his grandfathers mug.

Last edited: May 10, 2024
    Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. BlazingTiger

BlazingTiger New Member

Amazing, thank you! Any other information on it? Do you know why it's all blue and not colored like the auctioned one? Any idea what it could be worth? Anymore information would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to dig around a bit more now that I know the maker, thanks again!

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted