Featured Help identifying this cloisonne jardiniere.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lacey777, Feb 3, 2022.

1. Lacey777

Lacey777 Active Member

20220203_142758.jpg 20220203_142626.jpg 20220203_142640.jpg 20220203_142728.jpg 20220203_142701.jpg 20220203_142809.jpg 20220203_142619.jpg Where did my cloisonné jardinière come from? I am having trouble identifying country of origin and a possible date range. Any info is appreciated. It stands about 10 inches high and 12 wide. The inside and base are a sort of turquoise color. Pardon the dust. It needs a little cleaning. lol I'm also wondering what it is worth for insurance purposes. It has a crack on one side. Please see photos. Thank you!

2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

It is a Chinese example, looks to be post war, probably 50's to 70's from the style.

Boland, judy, CheersDears and 2 others like this.
  3. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Really cloisonne? I can't see it in the photos.

Lacey777 and judy like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I was thinking champleve...

it's always hard for me to pick one from the other.....

Lacey777 and judy like this.
  5. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Don't forget quality wasn't foremost at this period, the lack of detail saved time and money in production. Certainly looks right to me.

Lacey777, pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  6. Lacey777

Lacey777 Active Member

Here are some additional photos. This was my mother in laws who passed away. I'll never sell it. I'm just trying to figure out what it is so I can pass down the correct information to my daughter. Thank you all for the help! :) 20220204_085618.jpg 20220204_085634.jpg 20220204_085727(0).jpg 20220204_085759.jpg

Potteryplease, komokwa and janetpjohn like this.
  7. Lacey777

Lacey777 Active Member

And yes, it is not a neat example. Looks pretty from far away though. ;)

komokwa likes this.
  8. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Yep, that is definitely cloisonné from the post war period. Just a heads up although they are 'supposed' to be brass and copper, they often have steel in too, so they can rust internally - if you want to use it as a planter long-term it is best to use a plastic or glass liner to prevent it rusting.

9. Lacey777

Lacey777 Active Member

Thank you so much for the confirmation. It's a fake plant. Just a pretty convincing one. :) I am so happy to know what it is, where it came from and approximate age. You have been wonderful!

Potteryplease, komokwa and Ce BCA like this.
  10. Francisco G Kempton

Francisco G Kempton Well-Known Member

You can see the steel wires, so must be a form of cloisonne. However the technique is more modern, than say a Meiji ( japanese) or Qing ( chinese) version. The materials seems different and the colour has been painted which is not the traditional cloisonne technique on the older Chinese cloisonne.That said the shape is very attractice and it is genuine cloisonne for sure.

I am only comparing this to the Chinese qing cloisonne i have beside me here :) and whatever memories i have rattling around from reading about cloisonne and watching some video's.

I always wonder why older stuff is such a higher quality than modern stuff, they still make cloisonne today but for the most part they seem childlike in comparison to the older stuff.

Lacey777 likes this.
  11. komokwa

I think because they took more time to make things...

Lacey777 and Francisco G Kempton like this.
  12. Francisco G Kempton

Francisco G Kempton Well-Known Member

A cultural factor then. A different approach to economics. If we compare to modern times and you add in higher wages, Obsalence and a disposable/lifestyle culture and a more diverse skill set/ career choices... If we just remove the disposable culture and corporate obsalence and introduce a more permanent career, then maybe we might see a signifigantly better work ethic and product.

Lacey777 and komokwa like this.
  13. komokwa

something like that.......and not unique to that culture either..;):(

Lacey777 and Francisco G Kempton like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted