Featured Help To Figure Out Weight

Discussion in 'Silver' started by cxgirl, Apr 7, 2024.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    How would I figure out the actual weight of the sterling without taking the blades off? Replacements calls them Modern Hollow Knife, but I imagine there would be a metal rod or bar inside?
    any info appreciated
    thanks for looking:)
    Untitled - 1 of 1.jpeg

2. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Can't be done with sufficient accuracy to use for actual silver content.

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

The place I sell scrap silver to has some guide they use for wares like these .IF ,and thats a big if,I remember correctly it was calculated to be about 20% silver weight after deductions.

4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Was curious, too. Found a Canadian gold/silver buyer online that uses a calculation. I think this is for knives filled with resin, so if yours are somehow "more hollow" in the handle, this calculation might not be appropriate. From the site:

https://guardiangold.ca/blog/what-to-expect-selling-silver-knives

Quote from site:

"If you wish to sell silver knives, Guardian International Gold generally offers 90% of the current silver bid at the time of the transaction for either 1/4 of the weight of small knives or 1/3 of the weight of large knives." (End).

cxgirl, johnnycb09 and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

You may get more $$$ (depending on pattern) selling on eBay for knives and other weighted items.

cxgirl, johnnycb09 and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks for all the replies folks:)

there are some for sale but none have sold, will try listing 6 of them and see what happens. If they don't sell, guess I'll take the blades off and scrap them.

bercrystal and johnnycb09 like this.
  7. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I believe an auction house I frequent allows for 0.5oz per handle on these. I’ve never checked their allowance accuracy.

cxgirl likes this.
  8. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

My experience scrapping knives, a handle typically yields between 10 and 20 grams of silver.

Lucille.b, johnnycb09 and cxgirl like this.
  9. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks J Dagger:)

thanks Mr Nate:) Nice to see you posting, hope your hunting is going well and you are finding lots of goodies:)

MrNate, komokwa and johnnycb09 like this.
  10. Mixdenny

Mixdenny Active Member

I was at my local coin shop last week when this came up. The seller wanted more precision so with his permission the shop crushed a handle with pliers and was in the process of wire brushing the "stuff" off the shells. Looked like plaster.

J Dagger, johnnycb09 and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted