Help to identify a French Armoire.

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Michael Barcelona, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Michael Barcelona

Michael Barcelona New Member

Hello All, This is my first post so hopefully I'm not breaking any rules here. I'm trying to help my mother out as she has a French Armoire but we have no idea if it is a run of the mill Armoire or something a bit more special. If anyone has any knowledge in this area it would be very much appreciated.

We were told it was made in France and is over 100 years old. It has the original bevelled mirrors. It's a 3 door and it was painted white. (not originally)
    width - 1700mm
    height - 2286mm
    depth - 457mm

If anyone can help us out it would be a great.

Attached Files:

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Michael.

[​IMG]

3. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Since it has been painted, and in the absence of any label, it will be virtually impossible to say with certainty who made it and in what year.

Nevertheless, because of the overall "look," and evident quality of construction. France is a possibility. I could also see that it could have been made in the northeast U.S. I would date it to the 1870s.

Questions:

Where are you?
    Where did you get the piece?
    Who told you it was made in France, and is that crucially important?

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

The fact that it has been painted renders this a moot point. Looks like some feet have been removed as well. It was a very nice antique armoire before modification.

komokwa and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Feet may well have been removed due to ceiling height.

Debora

6. Michael Barcelona

Michael Barcelona New Member

Hi All, thanks for taking the time to respond. I am in Barcelona but the Armoire is in England at my mothers place. The feet have been removed but kept. The Armoire was purchased in England about 25 years ago, the family it was purchased from didn't have many details but they thought it was originally in a French Hotel.

The Armoire was put up for sale yesterday at a price of 700 GBP. We have no idea if this is way too much, way too cheap or about right.

verybrad likes this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Bon dia! Benvinguts.

It might well have been in a hotel - there was a bit of a thing for painting those. I'm inclined to it being a Brit tho'. as to whether you'll get that, it depends where you're selling it. It's in what looks like lovely condition and fashionable as it is now. I suspect £500 is closer.

8. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

Welcome Michael. One picture? Wood? Closer pic of top? Look like maybe a thistle? Construction of drawer? It is very pretty. What do the feet look like? I suspect bun?

Draft saved Draft deleted