HELP w/THRIFT STORE PAINTING I PAID $200 FOR(!) BUT CAN'T MAKE OUT SIGNATURE!

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Dec 29, 2017.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I saw this at a local thrift store this morning; it had just been donated and the owner/manager put a $295 price on it.
    I looked at the signature but couldn't make it, but I was/am pretty sure it was by a known artist because the painting looked so good/real - even with some light crazing near some edges.
    I also think it has age; both from the subject's clothing as well as the framing, nails used & also the canvas.
    I had $202 on me and asked the manager if she'd sell it to me for that amount - and if it sold on eBay for more than $400 I'd give her another $50. Since she knew me & that I am a regular, every day customer/dealer she agreed - and I got it for $202; all the money I had on me!
    Can anyone tell me if I did the right thing spending $202 on this? Can anyone make out the artist's name?
    Any idea of it's age?
    Thanks in advance - I appreciate any help.
    PS - First photos were taken outside in sunlight & later ones inside with flash & sunlight from windows.
    Thanks again!
    AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING ANTIQUE PAINTING MAN AND DOGS 1AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING ANTIQUE PAINTING MAN AND DOGS 1BAAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING ANTIQUE PAINTING MAN AND DOGS 2A_AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING ANTIQUE PAINTING MAN AND DOGS 3AAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING ANTIQUE PAINTING MAN AND DOGS 3BAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING ANTIQUE PAINTING MAN AND DOGS 4AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING ANTIQUE PAINTING MAN AND DOGS 4AAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING ANTIQUE PAINTING MAN AND DOGS 5AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING ANTIQUE PAINTING MAN AND DOGS 6AA.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Just my opinion, but I think it's newer and it's made as a decorator piece. I had friends who bought an "ancestor" from a high end decorator store. They do sell these. That red slash signature is just not old.

judy and bobsyouruncle like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Just mine too but... my initial reaction was China. Compare with genuine (Georgian) period portrait below.

Debora

FORUM Portrait.jpg

opoe and bobsyouruncle like this.
  4. journeymagazine

Is it worth more than $200??

5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I sold mine for 400 several years ago. It was in a stack of "factory" paintings.
    greg

judy likes this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That frame is brand harry spankers, to borrow a British phrase. The painting is nailed to the stretcher bars, often a good sign, but the stretcher wood looks new.

judy likes this.
  7. journeymagazine

I knew the frame was more new than the painting. But if Chinese 'factory art' - I've never seen them use such rough? old canvas like this is painted on; it reminds me of Haitian paintings I've bought & sold; some that were painted in Haiti were on old canvas - or almost anything they could find. Either from financial reasons or supply reasons.
    This canvas is not 'new'.
    PS - Can anyone make out the signature? (that would help!)
    AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING ANTIQUE PAINTING MAN AND DOGS 7AAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING ANTIQUE PAINTING MAN AND DOGS 7AA.jpg

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The back canvas looks new too, close up. I'm no art expert but even I can spot that much.

bobsyouruncle, Houseful and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted