Featured Help with aquamarine? or blue quart? bezel set silver tone necklace

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by IvaPan, Feb 12, 2023.

1. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Hi guys, today I bought this necklace as it looked to me as made of Czech blue faceted glass, and I liked its lightness and elegance. When back home the stones appear to be natural, as they have inclusions and cracks inside while the surface looks smooth and untouched, although the necklace looks old and the metal has patina. So I recon that these are natural stones, imperfect and cheap, maybe blue quartz or aquamarine. They are about 2 cm wide and are bezel set, no damage on their surface, perfectly smooth under the loupe, the cracks are somehow underneath and also look as there are other materials inside, some brownish stains.
    the style seems as Art Deco and looks Czech to me. Will be very grateful for any thoughts about the stones, the style and age of this necklace. Thank you for looking
    Blue glass1.jpg
    Blue glass2.jpg Blue glass3.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I see bubbles, which means glass.;)
    Charming necklace though, a pity about the damage.

3. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Thank you Any, I actually like it to be glass. But there are no bubles inside and no cracks on them, and no damage to the facets, too, sharp edges. Perfectly smooth surface, as I said, maybe it is not well seen in the photos. It is not seen at all, shame on me!
    I know what cracked glass looks like and would not bother posting if it was just damaged glass. It was dirty cheap (below 2 USD) so no big deal, I just got very curious. It looked very strange to me that's why I posted here hoping that someone else have encountered similar stuff before..

Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
    NewEngland likes this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@IvaPan, Actually I ran it through one of my filters.....but first....your image was 882 KB LARGE.....yes, under the 1 MB, but sometimes gets blurry a bit when enlarged to the full size......so I reduced the size a bit to where it wasn't blurry, before running through a filter....LOVE the color, but I didn't see any bubbles either....

Blue glass2A-1_75x.jpg

NewEngland and IvaPan like this.
  5. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Thank you so much, Aquitaine, great job! My photos are indeed very poor :( which results in misleading people I ask for help. My mistake, no surprise then that people say what they see on the photos, they don't know what I have seen and is in my head.

There are no seams on the surface, neither worn or shabby edges, no, everything seen as cracks or dirty spots somehow stays beneath not going to the surface. Very strange to me, I don't know much about stones though.

The stones are symmetrically faceted, from one side ending with a cone, from the other - with a table, also not seen on the photos.

Anyway, I will just put it aside for now. Will get back to it when I have a stone tester.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
    komokwa likes this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The setting is regular metal, so odds are the stones are glass.

IvaPan and Aquitaine like this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Glass can develop internal fractures that do not break through to the surface. When I was around 11, jewellery made using "fried marbles" was a fad with girls of my age group. It was sold in stores, but friends were making their own by heating marbles on the stove, then plunging them in cold water. They would become crazed on the inside, but stay smooth on the outer surface.

8. Rufus@frockstarvintage

Rufus@frockstarvintage Well-Known Member

@Bronwen - I remember those marbles! My sister & her friends were very much into the fad :happy:

Any Jewelry, Bronwen and IvaPan like this.
  9. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your comments! Very much appreciated!
    Indeed it looks like the cracks were intended and happened before the stones were mounted. So it may well be made of "fried marble" or similar technique.
    If the stones were natural, they would be very low quality because of these cracks and spots inside, and thus very cheap, anyway.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2023
    Bronwen likes this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

still , a nice necklace !!:happy:

IvaPan likes this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Bubbles.:D
    Aquamarine can have gas and liquid inclusions, but those follow regular lines, like a rainshower. Usually they are 'two phase' inclusions, both gas and liquid, which shows as a bubble inside a bubble.
    The bubbles in these 'stones' are single and all over the place, like in glass.
    Still good to test them though.

Bronwen and IvaPan like this.
  12. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Thank you, Any, very informative!
    Actually the spots are not spots but look as if part of the plain of the crack was painted with something, or has some dirt accumulated there, apart from this the rest of the "stone" is clear. I can't explain it well, sorry. A, and they don't feel very cold, get warm in the hands, a sign of glass. For now I put it as fried or cracked glass and that's it. One day I may have it tested.
    Thank you, Komo, I do like it! It is curious for me because of these things inside which I could not explain. But thanks to you, guys, now it is explained, thank you again!
    It was bought together with a black Aurora Borealis which looks pretty much Czech, and with an amber beaded one which UV tested as natural and looks USSR made. All three for (edit) 4 Euro so no big investment :)
    Aurora borealis black.jpg
    Amber clasp2.jpg
    Amber clasp4.jpg

Attached Files:

13. komokwa

nice pick up for 4 euro............sweeeeeeeet !!!!:hilarious:

IvaPan likes this.
  14. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Thanks, Komo, very kind of you!
    I usually spend 2-3 Euro per item as I am a novice and cannot take risks. Although I understand that sometimes one needs to give good money to have something really valuable but I don't feel confident enough so prefer to pass if the item is expensive. Have been tempted a couple of times though...:D

komokwa likes this.
  15. komokwa

as your eye and knowledge mature......you'll be more able to take calculated risks...

no one gets it 100%.....but knowing what you're looking at , improves the average !!!

16. komokwa

as your eye and knowledge mature......you'll be more able to take calculated risks...

no one gets it 100%.....but knowing what you're looking at , improves the average !!!

IvaPan likes this.
  17. komokwa

yet another double post.......:sour:

IvaPan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted