Help with Henkel Harris Mahogany Dresser

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by ascot, May 18, 2022.

1. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Help! I've had this dresser for about 50 years. Two smokers (long quit) in the house. There were some rings on the surface so yesterday I thought I'd try to clean it. I used a sponge dampened with water plus a little bit of dish soap. This sort of gummy dark yellow residue started coming off on the rag I was using to clean up the soap and water - I assume nicotine + years of polish. After it dried, the finish was hazy, so I tried some Restore-A-Finish on it but it didn't do a thing.

I feel like there's more nicotine/residue still there, but I'm scared to keep scrubbing.

What do I do now?

Photo shows the area with haze in the foreground and the regular finish to the rear.

Thanks so much!

[​IMG]

pearlsnblume likes this.
  2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Murphy's Oil Soap wipes would help but the haze may be because you used water :(

Figtree3 likes this.
  3. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Surprised the restor-a-finish did not at least help a bit. Might want to give it a swipe with just the mineral spirits first to remove any wax/polish. Then, try rubbing with some mineral spirits and very fine steel wool. Work in the direction of the grain of the wood. Afterwards, a coat of paste wax to restore shine and protect.

Should this fail, you would need to try and re-amalgamate the finish with lacquer thinner. This will remove finish so you want to work very quickly. Wet a rag with lacquer thinner and take a quick swipe across the top in the direction of the grain. It will dry almost immediately and the haze should disappear. Be careful not to let any drip because it will ruin the finish anywhere it hits. A coat of paste wax would be in order afterwards.

Figtree3, pearlsnblume and Bookahtoo like this.
  5. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Thank you! I think that there are layers of old wax, grime, and nicotine after 50 years. I'll try the mineral spirits.

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I hope that works out well for you!

Draft saved Draft deleted