Help with identifying pieces from 1930s

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by BoomDog, Sep 20, 2021.

1. BoomDog

BoomDog New Member

Hello,
    I’m new to this forum and am hoping for some help identifying the manufacturer of some items my wife inherited many years ago. These two pieces are only stamped on the back:
    “MATHEWS
    MAIER,xx”
    We can’t make out the letters after MAIER.

Additionally, the number “223-1” is handwritten on the back of the buffet below the stamp and the number “632” is stamped above and to the left of it. There are a few other hand written numbers as well.

My wife’s late grand parents were born in 1900 and lived mainly in Louisiana but on the east coast at some point as well. The two pieces we are trying to identify came to us along with and large dining room table with 6 chairs and two Berkey and Gay dressers. The table and chairs appear to match our two pieces we are trying to identify. Our dining room table has the handwritten number “223” underneath.

We believe everything is from the the 1930’s based on information from family members but really aren’t too sure. We have tried researching the stamp but have come up empty handed. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you.

PS: My apologies but for some reason I could not get the picture of the stamp to load right side up.
    D39D29D3-0FB5-4A59-9CE0-4FEB4CF12017.jpeg C4982FD9-A0E4-4918-8544-DCEE6A3524BC.jpeg
    8BBE204A-F567-4025-9A2F-658E291FC280.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    Darkwing Manor and judy like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

judy and James Conrad like this.
  3. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Not a clue on who built it but, here is photo right side up & enlarged.
    Typical 1930s "Jacobethan" style furniture, very little value these days even in perfect condition.

8BBE204A-F567-4025-9A2F-658E291FC280R.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  4. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

There were many manufacturers of "Jacobethan" furniture. These are nice pieces, but a hard sell these days, since dining rooms are out of fashion. Still, if your wife's grandparents had Berkey & Gay furniture, at least they had some appreciation for quality.

Oh, and all of the numbers you've mentioned are probably just internal reference numbers with little meaning beyond that.

5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

6. mark737

mark737 Well-Known Member

Corporate info shows they were incorporated in New Orleans 1935 and dissolved in 1945. This would explain why there is not much of a record of the company, or many examples of their furniture. MMI.jpg

7. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Nice sleuthing, guys!

8. BoomDog

BoomDog New Member

WOW!!!!! Very impressed with the replies. We are considering selling the inherited pieces and just wanted to know what we had. Thanks again.

Darkwing Manor likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted