Help With Translating Mark On Shiwanware Piece Please

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by georgeingraham, Dec 25, 2020.

1. georgeingraham

georgeingraham Active Member

5" saucer or dish ?

I found one of the marks in a book with this description :
    "Shiwan, An Le Street, Yu Zhan made", "Ji Di" and "Made In China"

Can someone tell me what both "Ji Di" and "Yu Zhan" translates to ? Perhaps a year and or potters name ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

antidiem and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  2. georgeingraham

Ok, I got help with what the Yu Zhan ( 裕棧 ) part of the description is.. It is for the other two character stamp which represents the name of the shop.

So I am back to square one trying to understand the other four character stamp, and where Ji Di ( 吉迪 ) part of the description comes in.

[​IMG]

3. georgeingraham

Found a few different archaic symbols for both "Ji and Di".

Seems likely that Ji Di probably had a specific meaning or significance of some kind only known to the potter.

Sometimes I try to over analyze things. This is simply Ji Di. I don't think there is anything more for me to try and decipher or understand.

[​IMG]

4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Sometimes the process of presenting something here leads a member to discover the answer before other members can chime in. I find a careful examination of the questionable parts in order to explain them can be very enlightening.

dgbjwc, antidiem and georgeingraham like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted