Featured Hinged brass bangle with dragon, etc. Era?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lucille.b, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Hello all.

This was at a recent antique/vintage show I was helping with. Picked this up at a super low price due to the damage in the stone, back bottom corner. Curious about era, country of manufacture, etc. The dragon has a tiny glass (?) eye and the snake has two small glass eyes. The bracelet closes like some old gold hollow hinged bangles I have from the 20s. This piece is positively not gold, thinking brass, maybe.

Absolutely cannot find similar from any decade (so far). My keywords are kind of broad. (Brass hinged bangle dragon...)

Has anyone run across similar? Thanks.

drag4.jpg drag5.jpg drag6.jpg drag8.jpg adrag1.jpg adrag4.jpg adrag.jpg

Thanks for taking a look!

judy, pearlsnblume, komokwa and 4 others like this.
  2. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

very nice bracelet Lucille:)

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The type of clasp makes me think early part of the 1900s - certainly not after the 1950s. But I think earlier.

Any marks on the clasp area?

Adding - looks gold plated not rolled gold.

judy, Lucille.b, pearlsnblume and 3 others like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I like it!!!! Have a very PLAIN bracelet just like that....NO decorations on it though!

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Love it.:happy:
    It has an American vibe to me, but I could be wrong.

judy, Lucille.b, pearlsnblume and 2 others like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

way cool.........no matter when it's from !!!!!!:happy:

judy, Aquitaine, Lucille.b and 2 others like this.
  7. Lucille.b

Thanks, Cluttered. No marks at all. Not rolled gold, I thought maybe brass but now thinking some kind of plating.

Thanks. I posted this on the Ebay boards as well. Got one response that suggested it might be "Beaux-Arts and "Neo-Renaissance", which would mean was made in the U.S., 1890-1920. But the Jewelry board member said, not definite, more research needed. I'm going to check out a book she recommended.

Does yours have a stone, or just plain metal?

Thanks. One look and I had to have it, damage or not, because it was unlike anything I had ever seen. Even at first glance was thinking it might be as early as 1900s-1920s from construction and design. Not suggesting huge value, but the fact that we can't find another like this, does sort of speak to it being a bit unusual. The person selling it is my favorite jewelry seller at this event every year. She has an incredible eye and seems to have unlimited supply of desirable pieces, many designer signed, Miriam Haskell, Hobe, etc. and most $4-12. She has a regular store and does this one show, and what I've learned from previous years, if she has something with any damage end of year, she brings it and it goes cheap.

Five minutes after I purchased a few things this Japanese buyer showed up (he comes every year and learned that he sends everything to Japan) totally cleaned this seller out purchasing over 50 pieces. Was glad I got in there briefly first!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    cxgirl, kyratango, judy and 3 others like this.
  8. Holzy

Holzy Member

Hi Lucille,

The dragon/eagle/snake? looks like it’s brass, but I think the bracelet is some other metal—perhaps with a plating.

kyratango, judy and Lucille.b like this.
  9. Lucille.b

@Holzy I think that might be correct.

Thank you.

kyratango and judy like this.
  10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Lucille.b, just before replying thought I'd see if I still had it and Actually LOOK at mine.....it has a design on one curve, NO stones and says GOLD SHELL, 12K and F & C CO. Not that I'd ever heard of them.....It was my Mom's bracelet she gave me when I think I was in my teens which would sit right for about the 50's......YOURS is pretty spiffy looking!!!! To me the clasps look the same!

GF 12K SDM BRCLT-1.jpg
    GF 12K SDM BRCLT-2.jpg

judy likes this.
  11. Lucille.b

judy likes this.
  12. Any Jewelry

I think she is right.
    The Beaux-Arts style started in France btw, and spread across Continental Western Europe before it jumped the Atlantic. Beaux-Arts jewellery was made here as well, but in this case I think a US origin is correct.
    You don't see jewellery like this that often, btw.;)

The Beaux-Arts style combines the strong 'confined' lines of the 19th century Historic Revival styles with the freedom and flamboyance of Art Nouveau.
    In your bangle that strong simplicity is seen in the bold, thick shape of the bangle and the big rectangular stone, whereas the 'randomly' positioned dragon and winged snake are Art Nouveau elegance and freedom of movement.

This detail of the Grand Palais in Paris shows the same concept, strong Classicist Revival architecture with flamboyant decoration. The figure's left hand leans on a pedestal as if she stepped off it just to defy Classicist rules.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    kyratango, Lucille.b and judy like this.
  13. judy

judy Well-Known Member

My that's beautiful!!!

Lucille.b and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Really nice! No matter the damaged "stone":woot:

Lucille.b likes this.
  15. Lucille.b

Awesome description AJ. You would have made a great art historian, someone who describes the meanings in paintings, etc. Interesting and eloquent. (I think you are someone who could have had many different careers...) :) Thank you.

Thanks, also Kyra. This was one where it was just so intriguing, damage or no, it was a mystery that was going home with me for $12. The glass or stone is recessed, no idea how the back corner cold have been chipped as its a protected area unless happened during creation or someone was trying to pry it out. It is pretty much sealed in there, there is really no easy fix and I knew that and bought it anyway. Was thinking I might enjoy wearing it now and then and the glass/stone has some nice reflection, with the facets, etc. the average person would not notice the chip.

Plus, who doesn't like a mystery when it comes to jewelry! :pompous:

16. Any Jewelry

:)
    A bargain, even with the chipped stone. Which doesn't bother me much, this bangle has so much going for it.

Lucille.b and kyratango like this.
  17. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I SO want that thing. Chip, shmip.

18. Any Jewelry

Exactly.

Draft saved Draft deleted