Featured How Can I Repair or Strengthen Handles on this Tray

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ola402, Mar 5, 2020.

1. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I have this really neat coffee service for 6. It's Rosenthal/Continental designed by Lowey. Pattern is called Charcoal. But I had no tray. Recently, I found an all white tray/Platter marked Marks and Spencer. The tray holds the coffee set just fine, but the problem is both of the handles are cracked on the grip. I couldn't get a photo but I marked a line in red approximately where the cracks are. I'm afraid that after a few times of picking up this set, the handles will finally give way altogether.

Is there any way to repair or strengthen the handles. I don't mind the cracks because you can't see them at all with all the white. But having them break through and down goes the coffee set, now that would be bad. Here are some photos. TIA!
    First image is tray by itself, 2nd image is tray with cracks illustrated, 3rd if tray with coffee set on it.

DSCF5852.jpg DSCF5852 (1).jpg DSCF5851.jpg

i need help, kyratango and antidiem like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I would use a decent glue first - those trays are polymer acrylic, so one suitable for that. Run a layer round the crack and let it dry. I would then get some good decorative string and bind the handles - that would look quite classy.

3. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Wrapping the handles is a great idea and it would match the style of the coffee service.

But I have to ask "polymer acrylic"? I think this is stoneware, porcelain or ceramic (not a good pottie). Do you know something I don't? Or should I have stated that it is ceramic or stoneware? It's quite heavy. Not melamine.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    i need help and kyratango like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ah, OK - M&S ones are normally acrylic or similar. If it's china, I'd do the same thing but with a different glue.

i need help and kyratango like this.
  5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

If it's porcelain, dribble a drop or two of Krazy glue into the crack and that will bond the crack. A wrap is a great suggestion to follow.

pearlsnblume and i need help like this.
  6. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest a raffia wrap but the string idea suggested by OBB is far more practical. Waxed strings come in a variety of colors and black would enhance the look of what will become a "set".
    One small suggestion would be to do a dry run of the string to calculate required length before applying glue to bond to handles, avoiding the need for a seam mid-wrap.

kyratango and sabre123 like this.
  7. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

If you're going to do the wrapping technique, you could also glue a thin piece of strapping material to bridge the cracks. Would give it some extra support. Just use something that won't rust in case it gets wet.

8. Ownedbybear

9. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone! I have some Krazy Glue and I love the idea of black string and doing a dry run is an excellent tip. That should fix it right up.

blooey, komokwa and Figtree3 like this.
  10. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

When it comes to Krazy glue, less is more - use sparingly and let capillary action suck the glue into the crack!

Draft saved Draft deleted