Featured How old do you think this Limoges Porcelain Box is?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lizzie, May 1, 2024.

1. Lizzie

Lizzie All you need is love ...and a dog.

I have this lovely 4 1/2" by 3 1/4" Signed Limoges porcelain box. It is 1 3/4" deep and has a domed lid. I think it has been hobbiest painted but that is just a guess. The colors of the violets and the gold accented is lovely. I can brush strokes in the gold trim. The only mark is PL Limoges France so there is no factory mark. I read that the black mark was the early mark, followed by red and then green but don't know if that applies to this one as it may have been a blank. Any ideas on the age of it? Thank you for any help as always.

resize 1.jpg

resize 2.jpg

Resize 3.jpg

resize 4.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

So pretty!!

Any Jewelry and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. JB Miller

JB Miller Well-Known Member

The book Distinctive Limoges Porcelain shows your mark as being used from 1906-1938. There is no decorators mark on your box, but it's very nicely painted. I think it was originally intended as a cigarette box.

Here's an ad from 1915 showing your mark:
    lplad1915.jpg

4. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

That is lovely.

5. Lizzie

Lizzie All you need is love ...and a dog.

Thank you @Bakersgma and @pearlsnblume, I think it is pretty also.

Thank you @JB Miller. I wondered if it might have been a cigarette box. I appreciate the information, it was very helpful.

Any Jewelry and pearlsnblume like this.
  6. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Looks likely for a cigarette box when cigarettes were smaller with no filters. (like Luckies and Camels, Ick!)

pearlsnblume likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted