Featured I am being driven insane by a family member

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by gregsglass, Jul 20, 2019.

1. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    My SIL sent me several photos of an Italian porcelain basket with flowers. Her mother is insisting that it a TRUE Capodimonte piece since it is marked. She thinks it is worth
    several thousand dollars. I have tried to explain that TRUE Capodimonte has not been made for several hundred years. This piece is very 1950ish when she bought it in Italy. She has had it for sale at three yard sales for 950 dollars and the most she was offered was 25 dollars. She thinks that I will be able to sell it for 700 dollars on eBay. How do I tell her I can not sell it for that price.
    grge

judy, komokwa, kyratango and 5 others like this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Oh Greg you know we're gonna hafta see it now:D

judy, bluumz, kyratango and 5 others like this.
  3. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

I don't envy your position. It's tough to be diplomatic when extended family and harsh realities are involved. Could you pull up some recent eBay "solds" and let the facts speak for themselves?

judy, kyratango, Mugzinnys and 4 others like this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Greg
    Let her post on ebay and learn the folly of her ways. If she doesn't sell it, it will cement your position. If she does and the buyer returns it as fraudulent, then help her work through that and be a hero. Now if she wants to sell it on your site, have her post it here first and she will get some honest feedback and you won't be the bad guy too much. Just my thoughts. Tricky situation.
    Kiko

judy, dgbjwc, kyratango and 5 others like this.
  5. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

I am closing out my store and learning that sometimes gone has a higher value than the dollars received. The basket may have had a higher value than to days market. Sometimes over the years wishful thinking adds to precieved value at least closer to my home it has. I do not envy the bearer of bad news.

judy, antidiem, Mugzinnys and 6 others like this.
  6. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Oh Greg, I commiserate with you. Our DS's MIL has several cabinets full of Waterford (and other brands) of glass that she thinks are much more valuable because they are older now and she wants to sell them. I usually tell her that I'm too busy and maybe she could put them in an auction. Hopefully, they will go away...
    Patd

judy, kyratango, Mugzinnys and 6 others like this.
  7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Nothing like a few comparable sold prices to bring one down to earth.

8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

For this very reason I long ago quit offering "opinions" on friends or families stuff! My one ex sister in law SWORE her grandmas 1950s silver plated tea set was worth 1000's,and caught quite the attitude when I showed her that it wasnt. Another friends sister had a "Picasso" ,same reaction when I explained to her why it wasnt genuine.Nope,I dont get involved now!

judy, komokwa, antidiem and 6 others like this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Greg is already in, but I really think this is the best plan for the future. It's like never sell your family or friend a car. It is always no win.

judy, komokwa, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Greg, I really like Kiko's plan mentioned well above!!!! I.e., have HER list it on ebay, get some images for opinions HERE, and just let her know that you don't list and sell for family or friends anymore.....too risky!!!!!

judy, KikoBlueEyes, kyratango and 5 others like this.
  11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

AND I'm in a similar 'boat' with a couple of 1799 carved figures that have since been "conserved", that did not sell at Sotheby's about 12 years ago......the price has gone from amazing to the proverbial 'garbage can', and I'm having a LOT of difficulty letting the current auctioneer list them where HE wants to!!!

judy, KikoBlueEyes, komokwa and 5 others like this.
  12. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

YUP!!!! That's a plan !!!!;):D

judy, kyratango, antidiem and 4 others like this.
  13. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I concur, let her list it and perhaps that will help open her eyes. People often have an overinflated sense of worth for their items. They refuse to listen to logic.
    Best to let her handle it and then she can deal with it as it unfolds.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    judy, KikoBlueEyes, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  14. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Seems a good idea to me too!

15. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Greg, is it that she wants YOU to use YOUR account on ebay to list it?

judy, KikoBlueEyes, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  16. Mugzinnys

Mugzinnys Well-Known Member

I do not like selling for friends and family, but will at my discretion, if me ant the seller are on the same page. Otherwise it's let me show you how to set up your own ebay account so you can sell it. It's so easy
    Mugz

17. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I didn't have time to read all the replies. So maybe someone suggested this.

Tell her you would love to sell it for her on ebay, however today's ebay is different. If the item is claimed to be damaged. She will have to refund the money and possibly not get the item back. It is too risky to list such a valuable piece.

Find and suggest an auction house in her area.

judy, Aquitaine, KikoBlueEyes and 3 others like this.
  18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

She has had it for sale at three yard sales for 950 dollars

when's the last time any of you guys went to a yard sale and saw an item priced at 1000 bucks.......at a yard sale....:wacky::wacky::wacky::eek:

judy, Aquitaine, Sandra and 2 others like this.
  19. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

How about a dreadful accident where the dog, chasing the cat, crashes into the first cabinet causing a catastrophic domino effect of falling cabinets and alas, destroying all the valuables. Job done :smug::angelic: .

judy, kyratango and pearlsnblume like this.
  20. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I told my SIL about Capodimonte not being made for many years. Her mom thinks it is Italian and old. I have not seen the bottom. Her mom is moving in three weeks to Florida. I told her if I list it on eBay the buyer has three months to chance her mind and might return it. Her mom thinks that stinks.
    My idea is to give it to someone who loves it and will give it room. I am definitely not going to use my account to try and sell it.
    greg

judy, kyratango, Aquitaine and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted