Featured I bought this antique melodeon - how do I sell it?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Bookahtoo, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I saw this in an attic in Gardner, MA last week when I was up there looking at trunks. I had already decided to make an offer on it when I went back there yesterday and got really excited when I saw that it was sold, and probably made in Fitchburg, MA - about 20 minutes away from here.

Anyway, I got it home, set it up, have been doing some research, and am now dead in the water. It was made by Jonas P. Whitney, who was known for making organs,
    and sold in his son Andrew's store in Fitchburg, probably in the mid 1800s.

So now I don't know how to proceed. Any suggestions?

DSCN8385.JPG

DSCN8442.JPG

DSCN8392.JPG

DSCN8386.JPG

DSCN8422.JPG

DSCN8402.JPG

2. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about melodeons, but do have some experience with other musical instruments. If you can prove it was made 1850 to 1870 then it might have moderate value. If it is newer it probably won't. But does it work - if it doesn't then it will either cost a fortune to repair or be much harder to sell. As is true for other keyboard instruments, there is more supply than demand and not a whole lot of collectors out there.

Here is a good link with relevant info http://www.reedsoc.org/value.htm:
    "Melodeons and small cabinet organs from the period (roughly) 1850 to 1870 *are* antiques, and these, in good condition, are beginning to fetch prices more in line with what everyone thinks any antique should bring, but it is still the rare instrument that will garner more than a few hundred dollars, except when you find 'just the right person' who 'cannot live without it'. Finding such folks is very difficult."

"Dating an instrument can be a problem, so some that really *are* antiques cannot be proved to be so. These will not fetch the same prices as those whose provenance can be documented."

all_fakes and komokwa like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it could still make an interesting side table.....if only for show !!! :happy::happy:

pearlsnblume likes this.
  4. Bookahtoo

Thanks Jeff and komo.

It does work - but I have been careful with it - I don't want to damage the bellows.

It was almost certainly made before 1870 - he died in 1879. It has a serial number of 1070 so can maybe be looked up.

Whitney was pretty well known around here for his instruments - he built many of the organs for churches in the area, some of which are still in use.

5. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

NOT A CLUE! but, interesting foot pedal, is that a shovel handle?

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

7. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Well, it LOOKS like one in pic!:watching:

8. Bookahtoo

It's not a shovel handle, weisenheimer. Most of the ones I've found have the same shaped pedals for some reason.

9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Bookahtoo, hope you don't mind, I know, I should always ASK FIRST!!!!! I sent a couple of your images on to a friend who's a musician in the New Haven Orchestra (I think that's it anyway.....I can never remember).....he MIGHT know of someone who collects or at least who can send you along in a good direction at least..... hopefully!!!! At least I know my friend rubs elbows with a lot of musicians, and teaches as well!!! Best of luck with it.....looks really neat!!!!!:):):)

anundverkaufen and James Conrad like this.
  10. Bookahtoo

Thanks Aquitaine.

Aquitaine and James Conrad like this.
  11. Aquitaine

@Bookahtoo, did you find any of these sites?? You might get a general value estimate out of them??

http://antiquepianoshop.com/product-category/organs-melodeons/?wpv_view_count=3083

https://afinecollection.wordpress.com/2014/07/16/melodeon-1850s-1900s/

This next one took a few extra seconds to load, but looked to have a first image JUST like yours, I think?? OOOPS.....the base stand is a little different.......They charge $9.95 for an appraisal.....
    http://antique-appraise.com/wp-content/uploads/melodeon2.jpg

This one adds some interest on one in CT........
    http://archive.knoxnews.com/enterta...r-wind-instrument-ep-543257378-354455211.html

12. Aquitaine

And check your Inbox!!

13. Bookahtoo

I had seen the first one, but not the others. Thanks - I'm off to check them out!

14. William gilsrud

William gilsrud New Member

The one I have looks the same .I took mine to the antique road show and he dated it in the 1840s by the molding

i need help and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted