Featured Id help fırst cameo; what era, maker, style

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Rec, Feb 10, 2023.

1. Rec

Rec Well-Known Member

Could you please help me to ID this cameo. It ıs sıgned (last 2 pics) but cant read .

Thank you
    20230210_144326_copy_1512x1512_copy_756x756.jpg 20230210_144340_copy_1512x1512_copy_756x756.jpg 20230210_144348_copy_1512x1512_copy_756x756.jpg 20230210_144358_copy_1512x1512_copy_756x756.jpg 20230210_144405_copy_1512x1512_copy_756x756.jpg 20230210_144421_copy_1512x1512_copy_756x756.jpg 20230210_144440_copy_1512x1512_copy_756x756.jpg

Any Jewelry, mirana, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

@Bronwen
    @PepperAnna

Hello, @Rec I've tagged two of the people who might have ideas about the signature. There are others, also, who may chime in.

I can see the cameo could use some cleaning, and is somewhat worn in places. Both of those are common situations with older cameos. This one appears to be from the 19th century.

3. Rec

Rec Well-Known Member

thank you @Figtree3. what is the best way to get it clean without damaging the frame and cameo

Figtree3, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I would give it a good soak, maybe even overnight, in water with a dab of dish washing liquid soap. I just use tap water, but if you have something around that has been more filtered, you might want to use that. You only need enough to submerge the piece. After soaking, you can go at it with a soft toothbrush. If no amount of brushing takes some of the more embedded grunge out, soak some more. With some pieces I've had to soak & brush 3 or 4 times to restore shell to the way it looked when it left the carver's hand.

My personal taste is to clean the cameo back to new looking but to leave signs of age on the metal surround. Think you would want to look out for those decorative curls, not to grab them with the toothbrush.

Pat dry, then, really important, give piece a good long time to air dry before enclosing it in any way.

5. Rec

Rec Well-Known Member

Thanks @Bronwen I wanted to do that first but wanted to make sure. Thank you for the confirmation. Can you also tell us something about the material, the scene, the period, etc.

Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  6. Bronwen

upload_2023-2-10_16-14-57.png
    upload_2023-2-10_16-15-17.png

Afraid I don't recognize this. If the author worked only in shell, never in hardstone, is probably little documented, if at all.

The scene on the cameo puts me in mind of "Giselle", with a man from royalty/nobility wooing a peasant girl. It ends badly. There is probably a painting behind this. Fragonard did a lot of couples courting in the countryside, but he's not the only one.

IvaPan, Figtree3, Rec and 1 other person like this.
  7. Bronwen

Got interrupted on this.

The cameo is cut in helmet shell, undoubtedly in Italy & probably in the vicinity of Naples. Based on the carving & the bit I can see of the clasp (does it have a hinged piece that flips up when the pin stem is in the C clasp & hold it in place?) I would put this to turn of the 20th. The mount does not look Italian, as is most often the case.

kyratango, Figtree3, Rec and 2 others like this.
  8. Bronwen

Please show us the piece again after its bubble bath. We love seeing the transformations.

kyratango, Figtree3, Rec and 4 others like this.
  9. Rec

Rec Well-Known Member

I don't know what you mean, but maybe these picture will help.....its a swirled c clasp

20230210_144413_copy_1512x1512_copy_756x756.jpg
    if you look at the scene, could it french... perhaps good to report its about 5cm long

Last edited: Feb 11, 2023
    Any Jewelry, Bronwen and Figtree3 like this.
  10. Rec

Rec Well-Known Member

yes i'll

Bronwen likes this.
  11. Rec

Rec Well-Known Member

do you recognize the letters?

12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

@Bronwen how do you feel about ultrasound on cameos?

Rec and Bronwen like this.
  13. Bronwen

:eek::eek::eek::eek:! No more than I would use it on pearls. Unless you are talking hardstone, of course, then it's a question of the rest of the setting. Although it wouldn't bother the cameo, I can't get the diamonds in this cleaned, much as they need it, because of the pearls. Probably wouldn't be good for the enamel either.

RosiMaenadC.jpg

These days mass produced hardstone cameos are engraved using ultrasound.

komokwa, mirana and Figtree3 like this.
  14. Bronwen

They do help. What I thought I was seeing is really the back of the decoration on the front.

Rec likes this.
  15. Bronwen

I would not be surprised if the scene is based on a French work of art, but the cameo is Italian.

Figtree3 and Rec like this.
  16. Bronwen

I'm seeing M (h? k?) t. However, neither H nor K is a letter you regularly see in in Italian names. (And K is something you do not see much in French.) I thought I had seen something like Mt on the back of a cameo before but couldn't find it in my records. Knowing exactly what it says may not be any help. This could not be clearer, yet I have never been able to ID it:

Miz Melpomene B.jpg

Figtree3 and Rec like this.
  17. Rec

Rec Well-Known Member

lLet me check if I understand you correctly. It is definitely an Italian cameo engraved by an Italian artist who may have used a French scene. the frame is not italian and could be french...

I don't see many cameos with a scene like this. are there many such scenes depicted?
    do you also have a name for those curly decorations on the front of the frame

Figtree3 likes this.
  18. Bronwen

Correct.

Correct.
    Correct.
    I doubt it. Where in the world are you, Rec?
    They have not been as popular as mythological themes & "pretty ladies", but they're out there. I do not collect them, so have not paid close attention.

Foliate ornament? I'm making it up.

Figtree3, IvaPan and Rec like this.
  19. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Possibly the leaves are the tip of acanthus leaves which were (are?) extremely popular in decorative arts all over Europe.

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  20. Rec

Rec Well-Known Member

Thanks @Bronwen .i'm from Netherland

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted