Featured If you use ebay promoted listings, you should read this!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Mill Cove Treasures, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Lucille.b, Bronwen, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  2. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

As a buyer I hate the promoted listings as they appear in searches that they shouldn't although I haven't noticed it as much lately. Sellers would probably not be happy to know that seeing a promoted listing makes me scroll by quickly as it's nearly always irrelevant to me. They make me cross so I don't look at them. The opposite of what sellers are hoping for but maybe I'm in the minority.

3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

No, you're not in the minority. I didn't realize what I was being shown on the side of my screen was a "promoted listing" but I have found them to be annoying.

4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

From my days as a 1990's powerseller to today - just a big downhill dip in my opinion.

5. Mill Cove Treasures

I haven't seen promoted listings on the side of the screen. I've only seen them when I scroll down to read the description of listing I clicked on. The "sponsored" items are spread across the top of the description so I see those listings before I can read the description of the item I clicked on.

patd8643, Figtree3 and pearlsnblume like this.
  6. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I am annoyed by them as well.
    Just as an added gripe, whether it is eboo, etsy or any other, I am so tired of them messing with the search so we can't find what we want or need because they want to make money on Promoted listings that screw things up.

Whatever happened to the main goal being, we search, we find, we buy and we are happy? Oy

patd8643 and Mill Cove Treasures like this.
  7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Think maybe you should be working for eBay!. Keep it straightforward.

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I don't think any of us are able to handle working for Eboo; they seem to require folks who need assisted living housing. The kind for folks with mental disabilities.

9. pearlsnblume

Only if I get to make the rules and bring back the old eboo AND
    get a golden parachute $$$$ when I leave within a year.

10. antidiem

I can remember taking an occasional peak to see what MEG was selling!:rolleyes:

11. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Things started to go downhill for me when they stopped sending me personalized Christmas cards and T-shirts ....Oh and when they did away with the $20 "Featured" auctions ...when was that? 1999 or so?

antidiem likes this.
  12. pearlsnblume

The best ever promotion on eboo was the contest they ran where you could win money for finding specific listings. They would give clues or hints and then you would have to search it out and click on something in the listing (not really for sale)
    and you could win money.
    I got really lucky, the clue was easy and it was for the book "The Grapes Of Wrath".
    Won a thousand dollars. woo hoo.

13. pearlsnblume

Me too.

antidiem and Mill Cove Treasures like this.
  14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I was looking around and thinking "the shark????" Oh yeah, Meg Whitman.

antidiem likes this.
  15. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Best thing I ever got was a string of Christmas lights!. Still got them somewhere,must be worth a grand by now?!

antidiem and pearlsnblume like this.
  16. antidiem

I once got an ebay check for 99cents. It was such a beautiful and expensive check, I decided not to cash it. Since then, I've misplaced it. That's the most I ever got as an unexpected windfall profit from eBay and it was only because I didn't know I was part of a class action suit against them from their initial merger with pp. :cat:

I haven't sold regularly on ebay since 2005.. I was back on it once in 2012 to sell a few household items and was totally unenthused about doing it. I went so far as to make an account on etsy last year and have still never put a single item up for sale there. :facepalm: :(

pearlsnblume likes this.
  17. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Just ran across this, so maybe not true above.
    Untitled-TrueColor-06.jpg

18. Mill Cove Treasures

Maybe ebay had a change of heart about listing sponsored ads only once after mass protests and losing revenue. Are you using an Ad blocker? I wonder why the generic is showing before the "sponsored" I thought sponsored ads were shown first?

Lucille.b and antidiem like this.
  19. antidiem

Thanks for showing me. I haven't seen that yet that I know of. So far, the sponsored ads are separated at the bottom. I thought they were on the side of the page, but now I have checked.

20. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I haven't seen any sponsored listings showing up in my searches for over a week, YEA!!!!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted