Featured Info on Asian statue w/signature insert in bottom - resin? stone? bone?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Oct 25, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this today (along with a Big 6ft painting by Haitian artist Wilfred Daleus - that I sold to another picker outside in the parking lot 20 min later for double what I paid!) at a friend's thrift store.

I don't think it's ivory or bone because I can't see either the tic tac toe lines of ivory or the straight lines of bone, and when my friend told me he wanted $100 for it otherwise he was going to put it on the display case for $250, I declined at first.

But googling the image I saw some that were called 'stone', and since it was an unusual subject + the signature inserted the bottom center on what looked like a tiny tile intrigued me (a image search on it turned up nothing - but I could have it upside down & not know it!) and I decided to gamble - I bought it for $107 (including tax)

Can anyone tell me about it - is it stone or is it resin? Could it be bone?
    What is with the lady's face on his thigh and in photo #5 what looks like a oval/tear drop shape that looks like it's showing inside his leg or something equally strange behind the lady's face/under his sleeve?

Can anyone tell me who the artist is by the signed insert in center on bottom?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated - I don't think I hit a home run but am hoping I got a base hit at least!?

The piece measures 12" tall x 4" wide at base

PS - Photos taken with my cell phone, then emailed to myself so I can resize them on computer to post here - my computer's photo app is on & off; sorry if any photo not clear/good

Thank you for any help/info/thoughts! (like - is signature right side up?)
    Thanks!

art statue aisian THRIFT FIND 1AA RESIZED.jpg ART STATUE AISIAN THRIFT FIND 2AA RESIZZZZZZ.jpg ART STATUE AISIAN THRIFT FIND 2AAA RESIZED.jpg ART STATUE AISIAN THRIFT FIND 3AAAA RESIZED.jpg ART STATUE AISIAN THRIFT FIND 3AAA RESIZED.jpg ART STATUE AISIAN THRIFT FIND 3AA RESIZED.jpg ART STATUE AISIAN THRIFT FIND 4AA RESIZED.jpg ART STATUE AISIAN THRIFT FIND 9AA RESIZED.jpg ART STATUE AISIAN THRIFT FIND 9AAA RESIZED.jpg

2. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

3. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

It looks like resin to me too, but that being said, my consignment store recently sold a small asian oriental resin figure for much more than what I thought it was worth! Seems to be more about the "look" of a piece, than the actual content.

5. journeymagazine

PepperAnna and judy like this.
  6. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

Love the plus fours!

7. journeymagazine

PepperAnna, judy and antidiem like this.
  8. journeymagazine

What's plus fours?

9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Golfing pants.

10. journeymagazine

PepperAnna likes this.
  11. journeymagazine

Can I heat a needle & stick it in somewhere inconspicuous - and know it's resin if it goes in / smells?

12. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

It's resin, don't stab it.

13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ditto.:inpain:
    I think you'll still make a profit. People pay for good quality Asian style resin figurines, which this is. Excellent quality for a resin piece.
    And it isn't ivory, which the originals are, so you can sell it without a problem.:)
    Not relevant in this case, but you can see that it isn't actually an insert, but part of the resin. On a real ivory piece it would have an inlaid red lacquer signed plaque.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2022
  14. journeymagazine

15. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Let us know what it brings if you don’t mind. I’ll be curious to know. I’ve also seen good Asian resin go for ok money. This one to me seems like there won’t be much meat left but I hope I’m wrong!!! How tall?

16. journeymagazine

12 - 1 ft

Draft saved Draft deleted