Is there a name for this type of art/painting. also age frame if possible.

Discussion in 'Art' started by Nancy Neal, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Nancy Neal

Nancy Neal Well-Known Member

Another one of my hidden treasures, and I use the word treasures very tongue in cheek. painting of a sail ship. It is unusual as regards the color and the ?brush strokes,ie paint is much thicker in places, It is on canvas covered by cardboard,Frame has cloth inlay like a kind of velour, The edges of my mind as fibrillating trying to tell me time frame, but are not firing properly, lol. shipuse.jpg shipuse.jpg ship ppic.jpg shipuse3.jpg shippic.jpg shippic.jpg Any help appreciated.

Attached Files:

Slykitty65 likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The thick paint and the way it looks like cake frosting suggests the use of a palette knife.

3. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Looks like some kind of tasteful version of decoupage that IOW a buildup of paper layers. nice illustration, from what I can see...

Best guess...

If there is a signature, that'd help figure value, along with condition.

I like

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  4. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I'm seeing pen and ink on impasto (that thickly applied paint) -- or "mixed media".

I'm not seeing a build up of paper, but I'm not at all clear that what I'm seeing is accurate. :hilarious:

scoutshouse and Bakersgma like this.
  5. Bakersgma

The pen and ink sketch is very odd. Lots of ropes that don't connect correctly and frankly way too many, I think, as if the "artist" was just trying to fill in space without understanding how these boats were actually rigged. Not planned out, but rather spur of the moment. IMHO.

6. scoutshouse

Maybe the illustration is on onion skin or vellum decoupaged on impasto?

7. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

The more I look at this, the less sure I am of what's going on. I tend to think the ink is applied directly to whatever that background is, but...

yeah, no clue.

Christmasjoy, Aquitaine and Bakersgma like this.
  8. Bakersgma

I agree, Jivvy. I don't see how something sketched on even the thinnest possible "paper" and then glued to the surface could look like this and not be otherwise evident.

9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I'm leaning towards what Jivvy just said......it "LOOKS" like the pen/ink drawing was applied directly on top of whatever that thick uneven coating is.....but if so, I'm LOST as to how they accomplished that with the drawing lines being basically so "straight" and even, considering what they were drawing on top of.......if that all makes sense!!!:rolleyes::eek::rolleyes:

Edit: And yet, if you blow up your computer screen on the one image that can be enlarged to full size, you can see some of the ink lines appear to be UNDER some of that "goop" (sorry!)....to me indicating a light coating of like a 'mod podge' coating after it was drawn......????? It's a conundrum!!!!!!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  10. scoutshouse

Multi-media is such a useful term!

Christmasjoy, Jivvy and i need help like this.
  11. scoutshouse

Christmasjoy likes this.
  12. Nancy Neal

Nancy Neal Well-Known Member

no signature, I am leaning towards multimedia, Have looked at it under loupe, magnifying and havent seen anything helpful, forget to day there are 2 frames, inside black one looks cheap, outside one well it is dowdy,maybe because the ?velour has faded, Anyway I will put it up for sale locally for 10.00 and sees where it goes.

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted