Is this a real Staffordshire Figurine?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by vitry-le-francois, May 10, 2024.

1. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

It looks old. It smells old. It even tastes old. But is it a STAFFORDSHIRE kind of old? Measures 11 inches tall. Thanks!

2spill9.jpg 5spill6.jpg 6spill5.jpg 3spill8.jpg 1spill1.jpg

Figtree3 and kentworld like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It can be found elsewhere online as antique Staffordshire, (highland figure)but I have no idea f it's old, repro, or fantasy. I always find firing cracks to be encouraging because I just think they are less likely in modern manufacture.

Figtree3 and charlie cheswick like this.
  3. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Old & cracks make good bedfellows,check this out-
    From an article on The National Museum of Scotland's website-
    "This was not any lion but one of the few survivors of the Meissen manufactory’s attempts to create a porcelain menagerie for the Elector of Saxony, Augustus the Strong. Never had porcelain sculptures of this size been attempted in the West or East and very few of them survived the kiln."
    MEISSEN.jpg

4. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Looks right to me. They are lambs below.

charlie cheswick likes this.
  5. Van_Poperin

Van_Poperin Well-Known Member

Staffordshire pottery is made in Staffordshire, Staffordshire style is made in factories around the world. This is 1000% Staff style at least.

Hard to tell what’s genuinely made in Staffordshire unless it’s the original old stuff (made in bits and hand pressed into a mould - sometimes even with fingerprints), or the earliest factory stuff which tends to be completely open at the bottom and a thinner ceramic.

When you arrive at Staffordshire style figures which are obviously made in a mould but closed at the bottom (which yours is - post 1840, to use a somewhat sloppy but popular date), it starts to be essential to know the history of designs and factories. I’m reasonably confident it’s British pre-WWI, but the Scottish subject matter is huuuuugely popular so they will have made lots like this - recommend a google to see if anyone links the design to a factory.

Wish I could help more!

6. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

theres things that look right and things that look odd for staffordshire
    never seen a piece with that underglaze blue before
    but overall i'd say......probably ;)

7. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Looks right to me.

8. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

awesome. thanks for all the replies :)