Featured Japanese Exportware Tea Set w/Tray. AGE?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Shangas, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

I don't normally post in here, because I don't normally buy glassware & ceramics. But this was too pretty not to buy, and I felt, for a great price.

So, tell me about this:

set01.jpg set05.jpg set07.jpg set08.jpg

The guy I bought it from said that it was turn-of-the-century Japanese exportware, but couldn't tell me anything about the mark. I'd love to know more about the mark and how old this set is. It's in immaculate condition!!

The mark on the base says:

"Hand Painted"
    "JAPAN"
    "I.E. & C. Co".

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

With a mark like that it will almost certainly inter-war period. I'm not familiar with the maker, also it wasn't uncommon for such pieces to have importers marks on them. In such cases the marks are specific to an importer rather than the maker.

3. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Lovely and unusual design!

KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  4. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Much more elaborate design, but this immediately reminded me of Noritake pattern 150. That was my mother's "good china pattern."

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

It's a Lovely set, Shangas!! Sorry I can't add more........

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

I suspected that this might be the response I'd get, but hey, at least I tried!!

Never mind! I still think it's beautiful. The thing that really grabbed me was the angular, geometric shapes of everything. I've never seen a set that looks this old, which looks like that. A friend suggested it was Art Deco, but I just don't see it...it looks more Edwardian to me.

John Brassey likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted