Featured Letter Box?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Frank, Dec 1, 2021.

1. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

P1210068.JPG P1210069.JPG P1210070.JPG P1210073.JPG P1210074.JPG P1210083.JPG P1210092.JPG This came to me from my mother's side of the family, around Edgefield, SC.

Am I correct is guessing this is a letterbox? How old might it be?

It measures at the base 13" x 14.5", and is 5" high. The lid is made from a single piece of hand-planed wood that looks to me like walnut. The corners are dovetailed, and the divider is held in place with a single nail on each side. The bottom looks like it may be pine, and is nailed with tiny square nails. The key fits the lock, and the lock works, but I have no idea if the key is original to the box.

judy, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

cigar box ?

Frank and judy like this.
  3. komokwa

looks homemade.....from parts...

what is under the lid that receives the locking mechanism..?

Frank, judy and Fid like this.
  4. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

A simple mortise (the irregular hole beside it is a knot in the wood) P1210085.JPG :

judy likes this.
  5. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

The form is a "slide lid box", popular in the 18th century for storing candles and the 19th as pencil boxes.
    What makes your example unusual is the lock, I can't recall ever seeing one.
    I'd guess late 19th century/early 20th based on the key, which looks victorian.
    It could be earlier though, a closer look at the nails & lock would probably reveal a better timeline.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
  6. James Conrad

Interesting, Edgefield is rather famous for pottery, I attended an auction once in Camden SC ( site of a revolutionary war battlefield) where a stoneware jug signed by "Dave" sold for a hideous amount of money.

7. James Conrad

8. komokwa

sometimes a cigar ............... is just a candle !:playful::playful::playful:

Firemandk, Msalicia, Frank and 2 others like this.
  9. James Conrad

Thing is, these slide lid boxes are a little like "tavern table" a generic term similar to "bible box" or "candle box", same kind of thing.
    With that lock, it's doubtful OP box was used to store candles, ditto box above that sold at Pook.
    It is rare to see slide lids with a lock, guesses papers, deeds, money, etc, something rather important was stored in them I would think.
    To keep prying eyes of family members at bay perhaps. :eek:

Frank and komokwa like this.
  10. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

I have a jug from Edgefield, not signed, though...

James Conrad likes this.
  11. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

I think I mentioned that I don't know if the key is original to the box. I don't think it is, but I was lucky to find one that worked. I agree, the key looks much later than the box.

James Conrad likes this.
  12. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

When I have an opportunity, I'll make a photo of the lock.

James Conrad likes this.
  13. James Conrad

You might consider having it examined, the jug I saw was signed by Dave Drake, a slave who worked at a pottery shop in Edgefield SC. He would write little poems on some of his jugs, HIDEOUSLY VALUABLE by pottery people.
    Apparently, Edgefield was a major pottery center back in the day, you might have a jug that's worth some coins.
    I know ZERO about pottery except, pot collectors are NUTS! :p
    https://www.google.com/search?q=edg...12j69i60l3.15524j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

This "Dave" jug sold at Brunks in Asheville NC last year for $369,000. USD
    Purchased by Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco
    https://brunkauctions.com/lot/important-early-dave-drake-attributed-inscription-jar-4037218

dave pot.jpg

komokwa likes this.
  14. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

TV no longer wanted the Marx brothers or their cigar theme!

15. James Conrad

There are other potters working in Edgefield SC whose work is worth some serious money as well but, I don't know a thing about them.:(
    The only reason I know about "Dave" is, I was present when one of his jugs sold at a small country auction house in Camden SC for 1/4 million or so.
    I remember thinking, Who are these people? They must be NUTS! So I asked the auctioneer after the sale & he told me the story about Edgefield and his Dave jug. He had a very large smile on his face as he educated me, an interesting story.:)

And another Dave the slave jug that sold for a paltry $184,500. USD last year.

https://brunkauctions.com/lot/monumental-dave-edgefield-stoneware-jar-3992121

dave pot.jpg

komokwa and Msalicia like this.
  16. James Conrad

Oh My Goodness! I didn't realize how collectible Edgefield SC pottery was, I got an email flyer from Cocker Farm today about some sale or other they are having. Cocker Farm is probably the leading auction house in the nation for pottery so I clicked the flyer and typed into their search box "Edgefield" and BAM!
    An ENTIRE PAGE is devoted to Edgefield and brother Dave above? He holds the world record for an American Potter at auction for a single jug,
    1,560,000. USD.......incredible!
    Even the little-known potters from there are worth thousands, I had no idea.
    If I was @Frank , I'd be firing off an email to Crocker Farm. :)

https://www.crockerfarm.com/highlights/edgefield-stoneware/

i need help, Frank and komokwa like this.
  17. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

I had no idea, either!!!

James Conrad likes this.
  18. James Conrad

Yeah, Edgefield is only two hours southwest from where I am in Charlotte.
    In future, I think I will pay MORE ATTENTION to these jugs as I travel the area! which normally I don't give the time of day too!:p

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
    Frank and Pat Dennis like this.
  19. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

James, I'm going to post some photos of my Edgefield jug in the Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain forum, if you like to see it.

James Conrad likes this.
  20. James Conrad

OK! Of course, I know ZERO about pottery! Except, pot people are NUTS!

Draft saved Draft deleted