Featured Look what I found thrifting! Uranium glass is just beautiful

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Elen Beattie, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Elen Beattie

Elen Beattie Well-Known Member

Hi all. I just wanted to share my thrift store find today just because for once, I think it's a goodie :D

My research tells me: Cambridge depression glass, Cleo etch pattern from the 1930s. I found similar on Worthpoint Depression Glass Cambridge Cleo Pattern Decagon Platter | #24201031 (worthpoint.com), would someone who has an account be so kind as to tell me what it sold for? I have to say, I bought to sell but I think I may just keep it :shame:

image0 (76).jpeg image1 (59).jpeg image2 (48).jpeg image3 (41).jpeg

cxgirl, ola402, dude and 14 others like this.
  2. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Sold for $49.99 in 2007.

cxgirl, dude, pearlsnblume and 5 others like this.
  3. Elen Beattie

Much appreciated, thank you!

cxgirl, dude and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

It's lovely gorgeous! Keep it! :shame:

Elen Beattie and dude like this.
  5. Elen Beattie

Yes I think I will!! :D

antidiem, dude and pearlsnblume like this.
  6. Levi Rush

Levi Rush Member

I’ve never heard of this glass. Nice find :)

antidiem, Elen Beattie and dude like this.
  7. Elen Beattie

Thanks! If you Google uranium or Vaseline glass there's lots of info.

Levi Rush and dude like this.
  8. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Nice one! Saw one just like it last week at the Salvation Army.

Elen Beattie likes this.
  9. Elen Beattie

Go buy it, quick! :D

10. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Great photos! Really sets it off and easy to see the etch and the shape, very nice!

antidiem, cxgirl and Elen Beattie like this.
  11. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Nice find!

It's not Depression Glass. Depression Glass generally refers to inexpensive glass produced during the Depression. The glass saw very little if any hand finishing, the designs were molded in the glass and the it was sold in "Dime" stores or given away in bags of flour or cereal, etc. It would likely have been used on a day to day basis. The glass was produced by makers such as Hocking, Federal, Jeannette, Hazel Atlas to name a few.

Your piece is classed as Elegant Glass. Elegant glass is a term dealers and collectors use for glass that has been hand finished. Mold lines were fire polished out, decorating was done by painting, acid etch or cutting (yours is acid etched). Elegant Glass was made in different eras including during the Depression. The glass would have been sold in "nicer" stores such as large department stores or jewelry stores. Fostoria, Cambridge, Heisey, and Morgantown are a few names of companies that produced Elegant Glass.

Tanya, plaid423, Siblye and 3 others like this.
  12. Elen Beattie

Ooh Elegant Glass, I like that! Thanks a lot for that information. I saw something similar described as Depression Glass so I just assumed they had described it accurately. Now that I read your explanation, it makes total sense. Much appreciated!

antidiem likes this.
  13. Marie Forjan

It could have been made during the Depression, a lot of people either don't know there is a difference or don't care.

Never, ever go by eBay and other selling site auctions for descriptions or authentication. On most there is no one policing listings and you can call an item anything you want. It's always best to confirm with other sites.

Here is a great site for glass: https://chataboutdg.com/gallery/index.php. One thing though, when you search for an item you need to combine your search terms with "and" to narrow down the sresults. For instance, for you piece to confirm what you found on Worthpoint you would type "Cambridge and cleo" into the search field. If you don't add "and" you will be swamped with results because the default is "or".

SBSVC, antidiem, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
  14. AzWifenMom

AzWifenMom Active Member

I'm a newbie, but do you use a black light to check the type of glass?

15. Elen Beattie

Hi, yes you can buy them relatively cheaply online. You can kind of tell when you are looking at them without black light in the stores etc because they have a kind of unusual greeny look to them, you get to know the look once you've seen a few :D

16. Marie Forjan

Uranium glass will also show a greenish glow in strong sunlight.

Elen Beattie likes this.
  17. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I found a really nice small black light flashlight at Lowes (or maybe Home Depot). The case is aluminum and they come in all the bright colors. The purple ones are black light. It's very portable and I take it with me to sales etc. Fits in a pocket.

Elen Beattie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted