Featured Look What My Neighbor Has in the Trash . . .

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by ola402, Oct 4, 2021.

1. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

DSCF8627.jpeg DSCF8628.jpeg DSCF8629.jpeg

Should I get it off the curb? Or is it somewhat ordinary. I know why it's there, they are young and to them, this looks old, worn out, and not too hip (sorta like their old neighbors). It's coated in dry wall dust due to being in the garage with the remodeling people's tools.

2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Put it your garage and sell it at next garage sale.

3. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

My old mailman, who now lives in the South somewhere, would love this. His church furnished apartments for desperate people to give them a little breathing room while getting back on their feet.
    I wish I could but we just cleaned out our garage and I've promised not to let it get like that again. Between us and the neighbor, we have to bribe the trash men because the pile is so high.

4. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

I had just cleaned my side of the garage and I could not pass-up buying a collection of records and a few old phonographs. I back were I started!

Ghopper1924, Fid, NewEngland and 10 others like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's 1890-something to about 1900. You can't get that wood any more. No idea if there's a market, but if there were any justice in the world there would be!

6. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

At the least, grab the hardware.

7. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Would it be terrible to paint it?

8. DivasFinds

DivasFinds Well-Known Member

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

A crying shame but if you have to, you have to. It's not some rare hand-made piece.

LauraGarnet02, judy and komokwa like this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It would be a shame.

Debora

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

better'n going to the dump !

12. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Fall front desk, looks like good condition, quartered oak.
    The problem is, desks are like dining room furniture, endangered species territory, no one stores paper anymore & they haven't found a new niche in today's world so........

13. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

It's morning now and it's still out there. We used to get junkers who came through the neighborhood and took anything before the trash man came that had any value. They had rickety old trucks piled as high as the Grinch's sled! We haven't seen any for awhile. Somebody probably complained to the city or the police about them (sigh). But they were useful. I'll keep thinking on it, DH is Opposed because we're cleaning out, not in.

14. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yep, desks today are large dust collectors, even period 18th-century examples are going for a song at auction.

pearlsnblume and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  15. komokwa

grab it..

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  16. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I'd SAVE it or at LEAST save it, clean it up and take it right to GW or a SAVERS or someplace like that.....MUCH better than going right to the dump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SOMEONE will LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

take the mirror at least. quite nice form and might appeal to some people by itself for a few quid.

komokwa likes this.
  18. komokwa

quarter sawn oak.....the wood is nice !!

19. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Couldn't somebody use it for their laptop? Maybe not, when the kitchen table does just as well, or better.

20. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Update! A man came along in an SUV this morning and picked it up. Whew! At first, I thought it was a goner, but someone might have called him to come see. So assuming it has a home now.

My sister uses her lap for her laptop while sitting on the couch.

Draft saved Draft deleted