Featured Mass produced art - unreadable signatures a clue

Discussion in 'Art' started by Bev aka thelmasstuff, Apr 28, 2024.

1. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Interesting article. I found this last part particularly telling.

"During my stay, I was corrected and chided for referring to copyists as artists, or yì shù jiā in Chinese. They’re huà jiā, painters or art workers, and the difference in social hierarchy is made extremely apparent."

I wish most of the world would take their factory art as seriously as they do. I see so much factory art being passed as fine artwork. Most of the public really doesn't know the difference. This coupled with all the mass-produced prints flooding the market, leaves little room for true artist's work.

I see mass quantities of schlock artwork in the thrifts daily. I always wonder that this stuff really graced the walls of someone's home at one point. I often see someone carrying a piece of artwork to the checkout and try to get a glimpse of what I am missing. 99 times out of 100, it is nothing I would be interested in. Quite often, the better stuff is still on the shelves.

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Ive long maintained that some of the Chinese paintings are actually well done and quite beautiful. Wich conflicts with what most of the general public think of them,those with any appreciation for art that is.I think in the future they will be more sought after,but long after most of us are gone. It was sad reading they went from more original works to printing and embellishing copies,but there you have it. I rarely look at art anymore in thrifts because the only thing i ever see now is ugly mass produced crap. I also long ago realized im not ever going to get anything cleaned or restored so its rare now for me to look for art. Im all for everyone enjoying a pretty picture,even if its factory art.Isnt that what its for ?

5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Most of the factory/decorative works I am seeing in the stores new these days are embellished prints. The quality has become better and it is sometimes hard to tell they are not original works, beginning to end. I guess what bothers me is that this stuff is not all that cheap. Original works can be had for similar, or in many cases, less than what people are paying for them.

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Giclees ,,,,,,, I hate em.
    when they came out....folks thought they were getting an original on canvas......but they were not !

7. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

That reminds me of the Thomas Kinkade craze. Check out the prices some of his prints sell for on ebay.

Giclees are a valuable source of extra income for artists if produced as limited editions, signed and numbered, and gives people who can't afford the original the option of enjoying it.

Potteryplease and pearlsnblume like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I hate to see people buying decorative art when they could be supporting artists in their own community. Often for the same price or even less.

Debora

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I honestly don't mind the Chinese factory art, if someone has a blank wall and the painting is interesting or pretty. Would I buy it? Heck no.

I did pick up an oil painting of a vase of flowers at a church bag sale on Saturday. It was a freebie. Do I want it/like it? Not really, but I suppose I should research it for a minute before donating it to the ReStore.(LOL)

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted