Featured "Matching black pearl earrings"... anything super special?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lucille.b, May 21, 2022.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Posting this for a friend, but happy to learn, too. This friend had jewelry she had questions about, and some of it was very high end and clearly well made with 18K, etc. I could give her some approximate ideas about most of it, but I really don't know pearls. I just wondered if anyone knew pearls, maybe could take a look and I could pass the info along.

She was always told that this was a "very valuable set". I know we've all heard that, but you should have seen some of the other jaw dropping things she had, thought it at least merited some further research. The information she had was that they were: "Matching black pearls in a sterling pear setting purchased in Korea in the 1950s". It sounded like the fact that they were matching pearls was what made them more valuable. Looking carefully at the earrings I see no marks, but the setting appears to be sterling. The earring backs (clutches) were marked 14K.

I did some quick searching and came up with nothing. Does anyone know pearls?

pearl2.jpg

Not cleaned, but you get the idea:

pearl9.jpg

pearl6.jpg

Thanks for taking a look.

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

OOOOOOHHH, I could wear those in a heartbeat!!!!! Have they been re-glued in, I'm wondering??? They ARE lovely, regardless!! To ME!!

3. Lucille.b

I think just gunk/dirt from being worn as it is only appears mostly in the back. I don't have them here so can't check but pretty sure that's what it is.

stracci, Aquitaine and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful set, and those could be natural pearls, especially if they are "very valuable". None of us can look inside them, so they would have to be tested.
    Great selling point.:playful:

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Really nice set!

stracci, Lucille.b and pearlsnblume like this.
  6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Those are delightful. Or will be once cleaned!
    With the history I’d be getting them assessed by someone who really knows pearls and can test them. I think they are one of the most difficult things to assess what you got.
    I’m ok with the very basic ones but when it comes to ‘better and best’ I have no idea. Quite proud that I can now (mostly) identify a real one from faux but that’s about it!

7. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Classically simple; the Silver and its subtle contrast with the dark luster of those pearls..Oh, My!

I've got no issue with Dead Skin, either!

Ver' Nice Pics, Too!!

Born2it, stracci, Lucille.b and 2 others like this.
  8. Lucille.b

Agree the design seems to have some nice quality. Thanks everyone.

Let's say these test as "natural pearls". I'm not doing any tests, but owner might decide to if worth it.

When I type "natural pearl earrings" on Ebay, under "SOLD", I really don't get much that isn't associated with a major name like Van Cleef and Arpels, and of course that name has a lot of weight and those sold high. No name and the prices drop from thousands to under $100, but not sure that those lower priced sold listings are actually "natural pearls".

I know we don't do values here, but nobody is selling these at the moment (not me, for sure) so wondering if the possible value would be high enough to warrant a test IF they wound up being natural pearls. If natural matching pearls are we talking hundreds? Thousands? Just looking for a ballpark range as to value -- anyone have any experience selling this kind of thing?? Thanks. :)

Last edited: May 21, 2022
  9. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I only have buying experience lol and not all pearls are expensive. These look better than most, and these are actually quite old. Is that glue on the edges of the settings? I take it that will not come off?

I'm pretty sure the value will be affected by the glue, if that's what it is.
    Otherwise if you can get the glue off, easily worth 2-3 hundred, although not more.

PepperAnna, Lucille.b and stracci like this.
  10. wlwhittier

When (IF?) you're ready to sell those beauties. Lemmee know, eh? I'm in for $200.

I think they're real...and natural or not, powerfully attractive.

PepperAnna and Lucille.b like this.
  11. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

@wlwhittier We don’t allow offers to be made in threads. Private Conversations are the way to go. Thanks.

12. wlwhittier

Sorry...good counsel. Wilco!

13. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

I think these are not "black" pearls, but silver baroque akoyas.
    This is my vintage strand ,1950s, and they look much the same as your earrings.
    IMG_20220521_163729978~2.jpg

Last edited: May 21, 2022
  14. Lucille.b

Stracci, I know I wondered about calling them black pearls, but that's what the owner referred to them as.

Anti, I think that stuff is not glue but just "gunk" from being worn. It looks pretty distinct in the photo that is so enlarged... pretty sure it would just clean off, but I no longer have them in my possession at the moment. Something to check though.

I wound up buying a few items from this person, but I didn't want to invest in the earrings because honestly I didn't know the first thing and I wanted to be fair to both myself and the seller. But did say I'd do a small amount of research... So looking online and posting here.

I will pass along what I've learned. Thank you, everyone. I think she will need to get them tested (xray) and maybe go from there to get some kind of valuation.

KSW, antidiem, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  15. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Nice strand, Stracci! Thanks for the info.

Lucille.b, KSW and stracci like this.
  16. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

You guys are killing me with these gorgeous silver baroque pearls.

17. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Pearls are dangerous. I nearly passed out when I saw these in the pawn shop for $20.

IMG_20210203_140458.jpg

KSW, Lucille.b, komokwa and 4 others like this.
  18. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

Those are beautiful!

KSW and stracci like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted