MAYBE a really cool find?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by TheAntiqueHobbit, Dec 30, 2021.

1. As a more general question, where do you even go to get photos appraised? Are there services for that?

2. They're all smaller than 11 x 14, and none are older than 1950.

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I'm just quoting info I found online in response to Mill Cove Treasures suggestion in Post 15.

TheAntiqueHobbit likes this.

4. This one has some info taped to it. Not sure what an S P list is.
    Oh for sure! And some are definitely theater display cards! Those ones state specifically at the bottom that they’re for use in the theater only and need to be returned. These just never made it to theaters at all because the person that collected them got them from the printing directly.

5. Not sure this matters, but I've found images of the lobby cards for some of these that are definitely lobby cards (thanks for that information everyone!). However, the lobby cards are all in color. These are black and white. Any reason that may be?

6. So I figured out how the numbers work!
    They're NSS (National Screen Service) numbers used to organize movies they distributed materials for. The first number is the year (kudos to the person who guessed it!). The second number is the number of the film itself that uniquely identifies it.
    What's odd is that I can find the movies these numbers match up to in the NSS database, even those that have the handwritten numbers. However, the photos don't really appear anywhere as being published or used, and the few that are are black and white instead of colored as they were in the lobby cards.

Figtree3 and 916Bulldogs123 like this.
  7. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Not all lobby cards were colored. Several years ago, I sold some black and white lobby cards from Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, Frankenstein, one of the James Bond movies and a John Wayne movie. Here is a link to sold lobby cards on ebay starting with highest first. You will see some black and white cards as you scroll through.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...ete=1&_fosrp=1&_nkw=vintage+lobby+cards&rt=nc

8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Coincidentally, TCM is going to show Night Into Morning this Friday! Since I've never seen it and this is such a coincidence, I'll make time to watch it. It starts at 3:45 p.m. Central Time in the US. I don't know where you are located, but if interested and if it's available to you, I hope you can watch it.

9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Maybe @Maven (if I have that right????) might be able to offer some help?? Nope, I DON'T have her name right.....

10. I'm currently a broke law school student so we don't have cable at the moment. Appreciate the heads up though, glad the movie is getting play time!

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. Appreciate you trying to help! If you figure it out I'll be happy to try and summon them myself lol.

12. Pattywithay

Pattywithay Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted