Featured Meissen Figurine - Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Mansons2005, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Since I do not have any provenance on this piece other than it belonged to an aunt (she of the demi-tasse cups) who traveled and collected extensively, I am soliciting opinions regarding its authenticity. I KNOW you can not say definitively without handling the piece, but some of you are SO GOOD at this that you may be able to render an opinion of some sort. My experience with Meissen is pretty much limited to dinnerware.

It is 6.6”-6.75” tall and is surprisingly heavy for its size (noticeably heavier than a Dresden figurine of the same size). Even though it is damaged, I believe that it may still have some value. The detail in modeling and painting is very good. My initial search for anything with the impressed numbers on the bottom has yielded zero so far.

Thank You.

MVC-324S.JPG

MVC-325S.JPG
    MVC-326S.JPG
    MVC-331S.JPG MVC-335S.JPG

MVC-329S.JPG MVC-332S.JPG

MVC-328S.JPG MVC-333S.JPG

MVC-330S.JPG

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I would guess it's one of the four seasons.

I think it lacks the finesse of Meissen.

Another figurine of the same theme:
    [​IMG]

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  3. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    Christmasjoy, Figtree3 and kyratango like this.
  4. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

5. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but what the heck is he DOING with those grapes on his head???

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

he's drunk....;)

7. Mansons2005

Ven he vent to makes da vine, his vife says "Not mitt da feets - das NASTY! do it der right vay, Mein Gott, use der noodle".....................

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

9. Mansons2005

No other opinions on this piece? I have to make a decision on listing or not..................

KikoBlueEyes and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

For what it is worth, I vote yes.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  11. Mansons2005

Thanks. For what it is worth on my end, I have been leaning toward authentic as well. The markings and figure itself line up with many pieces available from reputable sites/sellers that declare it authentic - not always the best barometer, but I think in this case it is a confirmation. Thank you all!

12. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

The crossed swords mark looks correct, but those impressed numbers are giving me pause and the modelling of the hands is not quite top notch. Not a fake, but perhaps a more recent production?

13. Mansons2005

The photo of the intact hand is blurred - but the best I could do, as I wished to show how detailed it actually is - you can see the tiny fingernails.

Dang! They look so much like the other pieces I have found from reputable sources that I used them as a criteria on judging authenticity. Now to rethink? Grrrrrr

KikoBlueEyes and Christmasjoy like this.
  14. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Can you ask Meissen?

https://www.meissen.com/de/

I'd send them photos of the marks and ask if they're legitimate. If you can find someone to ask.

15. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I would list it. It's awesome.

What I see is a guy who gathered up grapes in his hat. Then put the hat on his head. Whoops, hat is full, takes it off and a bunch of grapes stick on his head and he has to take them off. Or, he's drunk.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  16. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

If there's a companion piece with a girl, it might be more of a come-and-get-em situation.

Mansons: If you're happy with the comparables you've found, and are satisfied that the sources are reputable, go with that.

The best argument I've seen in the links posted is the one that names the modeller.

kentworld, Jivvy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  17. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Ah, better ideas than I came up with... Except for "or he's drunk"!

18. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Thank you, I can accept that explanation and rest my puzzled brain. (I don't actually care if it's right or not, just that it makes sense. ;))

Any Jewelry and SBSVC like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I am glad you got peace of mind.:)

SBSVC and Jivvy like this.
  20. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Yes, if you’ve seen other genuine Meissen pieces with that type of impressed numbers, go with it. I often muse aloud, er, a-type!

Mansons2005 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted