Featured Mercury glass spire on crystal base is it a project?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Kevolee, Jun 1, 2022.

1. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

Hi, I am wondering if these were two items that were originally separate decorative pieces and put together or a single designed piece? The bottom is definitely crystal but it looks like it could have been a candle holder. But the bottom of the spire is nicely and seamlessly placed into it which makes me wonder. It stands about 10 1/2" tall The only things similar I can find have no base and are Christmas tree toppers. Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.

IMG_5235.JPG IMG_5237.JPG IMG_5238.JPG IMG_5239.JPG IMG_5240.JPG IMG_5241.JPG IMG_5236.JPG

Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I think you are correct that the base is a candle holder & the spire is a Christmas tree topper that fortuitously fit well together. In my display cabinet I have a hand-blown tree ornament sitting in the mouth of a hand blown little vase. Shows the ornament to better advantage than if sitting on the shelf by itself.

3. Kevolee

I do think they were originally separate pieces, but I should have mentioned that what drew me away from Christmas tree topper was the fact that the bottom of the spiral is rounded instead of having and opening to top a tree. A little more research has me thinking some sort of bottle stopper or finial, though the glass is a bit thin. Also, thinking usually gets me nowhere, but just a thought.

Aquitaine, Bronwen and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  4. Bronwen

Guess that settles that. My beautiful hand blown tree topper spire has an opening much too small for the top of any tree large enough to support it, but not closed altogether! Do still think it's a marriage.

Aquitaine likes this.
  5. Kevolee

Yes, I agree, but now I can't rid myself of the idea of a bottle top or stopper of some sort or some kind of finial. My tree topper for the last 35 years is made of a wide decorated snow cone cup my daughter made in kindergarten that always leans awkwardly, so anything fancier than that is beyond my expertise in them.

Bronwen likes this.
  6. Bronwen

Sounds wonderful. I have been known to lash a large dried starfish to the top of mine.

Draft saved Draft deleted