Featured Minton Pate-Sur-Pate or not?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Geena, Apr 7, 2021.

?

Real Minton or not?

Poll closed Apr 17, 2021.
  1. Yes!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Possibly. Have it Checked!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Geena

Geena New Member

Hello all, I've acquired at an estate sale a vase that may be Minton. What do you all think? The first image of the pink vase is a verified Minton. The green vase is mine. I would appreciate your thoughts/expertise! Thanks! minton 1.jpg minton 1.jpg 2.jpg IMG_6154.jpg IMG_6155.jpg

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

May I ask if the "verified" one is marked Minton? So far I've found three examples like it. One they say isn't marked Minton but they guarantee it to be Minton. One just doesn't mention marks but say Minton. The last they don't mention marks but say "Wedgwood style". It looks like they may have had lids.

"The piece is marked with a three sided square and the number "3". The Mintons mark is not apparent although this piece is guaranteed 100% to be manufactured by Minton. "
    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/large-1880-antique-minton-pate-sur-309564440

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/minton-pate-sur-pate-rams-head-2017211744

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/27726962_a-pair-of-pink-wedgwood-jasperware-style-urns-early

upload_2021-4-7_14-27-42.png

3. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing, can't find this in my book on Minton and although it does have resemblance to Minton pieces I suspect it may be by another maker, and perhaps European mainland rather than English. Also I think the technique here looks to be bas relief applique rather than pate-sur-pate.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  4. say_it_slowly

5. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

That was one on ebay, so their 100% guarantee isn't worth the pixels used to write it.

6. say_it_slowly

Ce BCA likes this.
  7. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Agree, I think from what you have found we can be pretty sure it isn't by Minton, it doesn't appear in any common reference works and no marked examples have gone through auction houses or online sites.

say_it_slowly likes this.
  8. Geena

Geena New Member

Thanks to all of you for your insights!

Draft saved Draft deleted