Most likely counterfeit Meissen Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lavrentii, May 22, 2024.

1. Lavrentii

Lavrentii Active Member

Want to share with you this vase. It is 19 cm white porcelain vase with beautiful flower decoration. Flowers and branches are damaged.
    So I bought it for 3 pounds. It was for five, I asked for discount because of damages.

There is bluer Meissen mark on the bottom.
    I bought it because of few facts for me.
    It is beautiful, and colours of decor is beautiful, really old style colours. It is hand painted very accurate, and also there is high-quality color transitions, shades.
    Plus markings. I understand that most likely this is a fake, since their markings are always of high quality, as is the product. And really it is not looks like swords
    But I love old fakes, like a piece of history. Especially high quality ones. Or maybe I'm wrong. What ideas do you have about this?

`1.jpeg `2.jpeg `3.jpeg `4.jpeg `5.jpeg `6.jpeg `7.jpg

lovewrens and moreotherstuff like this.
  2. Lavrentii

Lavrentii Active Member

Here is three marks much more closer than Meissen marks.
    Limbach.JPG Wallendorf.JPG Ilmenau.JPG

3. Lavrentii

Lavrentii Active Member

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I agree that it's not Meissen, but I don't think it's pretending to be. I wouldn't call it fake, or counterfeit; just a nice vase by some other maker. Sorry, but I can't help with who.

Any Jewelry and Lavrentii like this.
  5. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

It could also be a blurred John Bevington mark
    bevington-address-hse-copy--300x227.png
    and he's known for copying the style of Meissen

kentworld, Any Jewelry and Lavrentii like this.
  6. Lavrentii

Lavrentii Active Member

Yes, absolutely could be. Thanks! And it is British maker. That doesn't change anything for now, but I bought this one in England, so it make a sense.

Marote likes this.
  7. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

blimey, haggling in a charity shop over £2 :jimlad:

8. Lavrentii

Lavrentii Active Member

Well, the charity shop system is quite interesting. I bring a lot of things there and buy a lot of things. Sometimes I overpay, sometimes I underpay. But in order to judge an action, you need to be either the person who did the action, or God, in order to know everything about it. So yes, sometimes I bargain. Sometimes I buy gold jewelry for 50 pennies because that’s how much it’s valued. When I buy from people's collections, or am asked to appraise something for the purpose of selling, I am happy to quote the market price and advise on how best to sell the item. But if an item has a tag on it and it's been worth three weeks according to the tag and still hasn't sold, then they usually lower the price every week. The decision to ask for a discount or not is always individual.

9. charlie cheswick

poor show if you ask me, when the money is going to a charity and the vase is worth £5

never known or seen anybody haggle in a charity shop before

i could understand if they were asking a lot of money for it !

crowleys likes this.
  10. Lavrentii

Lavrentii Active Member

Well, I respect your point of view. Let's settle for this. So many people, so many opinions.

charlie cheswick likes this.
  11. charlie cheswick

yeah no worries, i'm not having a go. Its just a bit unsportsmanlike

komokwa likes this.
  12. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

You may be right. A quick google image search shows that he produced a lot of wares with applied decoration.

As for haggling at a charity shop: I figure it's 3 quid in their pocket rather than no quid if it doesn't sell. These days, however, more and more people are buying at thrift/charity shops and dollar stores because more and more people can't afford the necessities like food. I donate to and buy from thrift stores, but I always make sure to get my senior discount!;)

13. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

People routinely haggle at Charity shops in my town (U.S.) when something has damage.

Has any of us ever purchased something at a Charity shop that we positively knew when we purchased it that the Charity had listed too low? And all proceeds were benefiting the charity? Yet we didn't call their attention to it? But instead couldn't get our money out fast enough and get out of the store?

Reselling is an interesting business.

kentworld, Marote, Lavrentii and 2 others like this.
  14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I've been known to pay more than they're asking in some stores. In the Ill Will, they're lucky to get any money out of me at all because they perpetually overcharge for junk. I've seen $3 pricetags on takeout containers that should have been in the recycling instead of on the shelf. I only haggle when something is damaged and worth only "pieces" value instead of full price.

kentworld and Lavrentii like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted