Featured My consigned items were stolen in consignment store

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Asian Fever, Feb 10, 2019.

1. caroln

caroln Active Member

I'd like to add to this conversation even though what happened to me didn't involve any expensive antiques. I consigned some very expensive dresses at a second hand shop. They didn't sell and when I went to pick them up after the consignment period was over (3 months) one of the most expensive dresses was missing. I asked a few questions like if it might have been moved to a different section, etc. and they just kept their heads down and mumbled I had to go find it myself. So I looked and looked and never could find the dress so I mentioned that it must have been stolen. They had no comment, just turned their backs to me. No, I'm not being dramatic, they actually turned their backs to me. So I left with a very bitter taste in my mouth. No more consignment shops for me.

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Clothing consignment shops seem to be run differently than antique consignment.
    From the experiences I've heard from several clothing shops in my area, I wouldn't consign clothes. Seems like a lot goes missing with no accountability by the owners of the shops.

kyratango, judy, caroln and 1 other person like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

About 15 maybe more years ago, I was working in a store and renting space from an antique dealer.
    Someone broke in and stole over $700 of pocket knives I was selling for my husband. They were the only things stolen.
    The shop owner said I wasn't covered under his policy. A police report was filed. Nothing was ever found or recovered.

I'm sorry Asian Fever, the outlook is not good unless you do all the leg work and try and track down where they might try to sell.
    Check ebay as well as any local flea markets, and pawn shops.
    Making flyers and sending to all the local stores as mentioned is a good idea.
    If you are in a smaller area and not a large city, they may go out of county.

Any Jewelry, kyratango, judy and 3 others like this.
  4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Asian Fever,
    I am so sorry for your loss. I went in on only one shop and after placing several lots signing all the paper work and agreeing to work so many hours a week in the store. I was happy to pack up four sets of complete china and several sets of expensive crystal. The rest of the stuff was small pieces of assorted stuff. I put the stuff in my display cabinet and noted my 'working" hours. A week later I went to the store and it was closed!!!!! A sign said it would be closed for a week. I went back in a week and the entire store was EMPTY. It seems that the owner packed up all the stuff and skipped town. He had used a fake name on the lease and was never heard from again. The loss of all that stock plus my display cabinet put me into a really nasty temper. I never wanted to enter into a "business" relationship again.
    greg

5. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

It ultimately will come down to the fine print in the store owners insurance policy. Many years ago the shop I was selling items in was robbed by real professionals who got into a locked case and took a $10,000 period silver service - not more then 15 feet away from the front counter. They robbed over a dozen antique stores in CT. and were never caught. . . it defies description how good some thieves are.

6. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I don't know where you are located so the laws may be different. Most Homeowner's insurance policies will not cover coins or jewelry unless you purchase a separate rider and have an appraisal. Most policies have a "blanket" coverage up to $500 which would be better than nothing. If I were you, I would file your own police report and not leave it up to the store owner since the store owner has already claimed he is not responsible.

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

The store is not an antique mall, it is an upscale antique store and I worked with them for almost 1 year. My items were scured in a glassed case which is always locked. However, the door hinges were removed by screw driver.

Just a reminder....in case late comers don't read the whole thread..

I'd think you'd have to plan ahead, to go into the store with a screwdriver...just for those items.;)

8. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I have a friend who owns vintage clothing stores in two locations. You have no idea how many people try on items clearly too small for them, rip seams, break zippers, bust buttons etc. and leave the damaged items hanging in the dressing room.

I work there once in a while. Sometimes we get a group of women who come in to play dress up with absolutely no intention of buying anything.

It can be a frustrating business!

9. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Kind of surprised that they used a screwdriver and didn't just do a quick smash and grab. The coin shops in my area never leave their display cases unattended and when the store is closed everything of value goes back into the large safe. Crooks like coins, precious metals, and jewelry since they are small, valuable, and easily converted to cash at a pawn shop or online.

You need to file that police report ASAP so that the police can check your item to their database of pawn dealer purchases. You will need to have a way to prove that the particular item belongs to you if it is located, good photos are great proof for collectable coins.

10. lpan9

lpan9 Active Member

Even if you bought insurance for yourself, it is hard to get insurance money. To prevent from being faked, insurance companies need you to show evidence of your item's value, which can be an invoice, receipt, or appraisal paper, but most antique dealers do not have those.

11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I consigned some clothes to a start up consignment store locally once. Once. One piece sold, and then the store closed. I did get my money on that one, but the rest was gone with the wind. Fortunately it was all stuff I was just getting rid of anyway and nothing I ever wanted back. Other stores have been better about it, but I'd never consign anything I had real money into.

12. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

In these situations they are basically betting that you won't invest the time to take them to small claims court pro se or hire an attorney to go after them. I guess in a lot of circumstances a failing consignment shop may not have any assets to go after and if they set up their llc or incorporated correctly the proprietor may not be liable from their personal assets.

13. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

I agree...good advice.

Ghopper1924, judy and i need help like this.
  14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That's what I figured, and in this case there wasn't enough in it to even justify looking into legal recourse. People who had jewelry in the store might have had a problem. I do bring stuff into one local consignment shop that's been around for 25 years, and into a newer one that handles mostly designer merch. The gold and sterling either go to on line or straight to the We Buy Gold places.

Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  15. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

16. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I'm still struggling with the shop owner claiming he pays $20,000 for insurance every month. That has to be a typo.

17. Jo Taylor

Jo Taylor Member

I'm wondering what sort of coin weighs over 1kg?
    What country are you in, @Asian Fever?

kyratango, judy and i need help like this.
  18. komokwa

upload_2019-2-11_18-34-47.jpeg

Google i kilo coin....they make em all the time....this one is 5 Kilos..!!!

Any Jewelry, kyratango, judy and 3 others like this.
  19. Jo Taylor

Jo Taylor Member

20. komokwa

upload_2019-2-11_19-59-42.jpeg ..10 KILO pure gold....worlds first one........

Draft saved Draft deleted