Featured N.A./Eskimo items at auction

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by springfld.arsenal, Dec 17, 2018.

1. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Oh...& personal comments of a vulgar nature posted against other members.....
    Not so much liked around here !!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. komokwa

that last box is sweet........!!!

3. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

A young Haida woman artist; I perhaps see some Davidson influences, as in the egg-shaped ovoid near the bottom.

4. komokwa

Bagshaw ?
    It's classic deconstruct the creature to fill the given space design....
    Very Haida !!
    :):):)

5. all_fakes

Cori Savard, in her early 30's, not someone I was familiar with, until I started looking for a nice clear classic design box. Classic fill the space; but Robert Davidson is very fond of the vertically stretched ovoid, (often uses it to indicate the presence of mouse-woman hiding in the corners of the design), and this one reminded me of his style, somewhat. It is probably hard to find any young Haida artists who have not seen Davidson's work, of course....

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I can understand how you may have misunderstood my initial post. Given the general discussion of reproduction NW Coast bentwood boxes, I wanted to contribute what I remembered about similar boxes being made at the Burke. I did not state, or mean to imply, that the box you showed was made at the Burke. I just misread the logo on the bottom of the box.

7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

"that's not an A ....it's a V surrounded by 2 L's......
    LOUIS V. LARSON................get it !"

You are right. All caps and exclamation points are much more subtle ways of demeaning someone. I apologize to other members for my coarse language.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    judy likes this.
  8. komokwa

it was meant to make a point..........and emphasize the name....
    nothing inherently offensive about it............

no disparaging personal comments either.............

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I didn't know that, thanks for explaining that detail. I had seen it before, and wondered about it. It is the little things.:)

i need help likes this.
  10. all_fakes

Not saying that a vertically-stretched ovoid always indicates mouse-woman, by any means; but Robert Davidson, in his more traditional pieces (as opposed to the arty, modern ones) will sometimes hide mouse-woman in the design; you'll sometimes see a hint of her tail also. Mouse woman is Kugann Jaad in Haida; he has said when she is discovered hidden in the painting that she represents the "spirit of the painting"
    Since I've wandered off-topic anyhow, here's Robert with one of his more modern pieces, entitled Kugann Jaad Giidii • Daughter of Mouse Woman (2016).

Davidson.jpg

reader and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. komokwa

Any Jewelry and all_fakes like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted