Featured Need help identify wood carved poster bed

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by bw351, Feb 2, 2018.

1. bw351

bw351 New Member

I acquired a huge and extremely heavy canopy poster bed, possibly tester bed? I am unsure of it's age, origin, and maker. Possibly mahogany. Definitely solid wood, no veneer whatsoever. I was told, please don't jump down my throat for saying this for I am only repeating what the seller told me, That it was sold in the past from original owner being of royalty in India.
    This I do know for sure. This is custom made, It was not one that was made from one of those ebay sellers, It is uniquely thick from the headboard, footboard, framing, etc. It seems to be like not any other with the heavily hand carved wood canopy top panels. I am unsure whether or not the bed in different areas was painted the two tone colors in certain areas during creating this bed, or possibly later in time during some sort of restoration, if was restored. This bed is at the very least 40 years old up to ?
    Opening for mattress is 79" x 79". Exterior dimensions: 94" tall, 115" long, 96" wide.
    Any possible ideas or opinions is extremely appreciated for I have exhausted most other ways of trying to find out much about this bed from google searching thousands of photos,checking castle bedroom photos,etc. Here are photos,Please note I had a filter on my lens that that deepened the colors a little :
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Stunning.
    Looks Anglo-Indian to me, or Indo-Portuguese. Maybe made after the colonial period, I leave that up to our furniture experts, but the style is there.
    @808 raver may know more about possible provenance.

Christmasjoy, kyratango and judy like this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

A king size is generally 76" x 80" so this is not far off. A bed this size would indicate fairly modern to me. Of course, unless in India, very large beds were the norm in the past. This is something I don't have any first hand knowledge of.

Christmasjoy and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. Frank Luongo

Frank Luongo Active Member

A magnificent piece!
    Check the British Museum furniture collection. They may have an item which is similar though perhaps of older vintage.
    Best if luck!

5. Frank Luongo

Frank Luongo Active Member

Google the great bed of Ware.

6. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yeah, could be made there, there are several different styles (tudor, elizabethan) in this tester bed and the open fret work on the ceiling/canopy does look India built

Agrees, not period, it has 16th-17th style elements all rolled into one piece, i'd guess victorian or later.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  7. bw351

bw351 New Member

thanks for the info,gives me more to work with in hopefully getting the answers

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. bw351

bw351 New Member

the other thing that also is unique with this bed,from the many images online with tester beds. I have yet to see one similar to this with being the posts are not connected to the footboard, they extend a few feet beyond the footboard, so does the upper canopy.And not many of the tester beds even have a larger footboard as this does.

Donstoys likes this.
  9. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

I know nuffin’ But you might want to get more light on photos in future, either get rid of the filter or use flash, it was frustrating to be unable to see details and depth.

10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

So are you planning on sleeping in it or selling it????? Inquiring minds are just curious???:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. bw351

bw351 New Member

sorry, here are some more photos,hope this helps. Please forgive if I may post any same as above.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Any Jewelry

I don't mind seeing them twice.:happy:

13. bw351

bw351 New Member

14. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Ask and it shall be yours, oh great one!!! OOOOPS....looks like I lightened & posted a little late!!!! So, how about seeing them THRICE, AJ???:p:p:D

552cns.jpg
    b55e0l.jpg
    fjiwhu.jpg
    mlqzp5.jpg
    p2mf7.jpg
    dn24xu.jpg
    wjz805.jpg
    5xk4du.jpg

15. Any Jewelry

Don't mind, and great job, Aqui. You can really see the desings now.:)

16. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yeah can, you can really see the canopy now which is interesting and unusual. It's an attractive bed.

17. bw351

bw351 New Member

18. bw351

bw351 New Member

thanks, maybe hopefully now from the design and the unusual mattress size of 79"x79" someone can know exactly what country this may possibly have been acquired from. There is very little doubt that this is definitely custom made for the individual that had this made. These picture by the way was before I loaded this to my home.
    I am very interested in somehow in finding out the true exact history of this particular bed. I know it is a long shot, I probably will have better luck playing the lottery, but it will not stop me from at least trying. This beautiful piece deserves to be reunited with its history of the maker, etc.
    By the way, Thank you so much Aquitaine for brightening up those photos. Amazing job.

Christmasjoy, Bakersgma and kyratango like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Anglo-Indian or Indo-Portuguese in style. Maybe made after the colonial period.
    So the country is India.
    The bed is European in shape. That style lattice carving is very Indian. Peacocks are a classic Indian element. They are on either side of a flower vase, a representation of Kalpataru, the primeval tree which can grant wishes.
    There are some Buddhist influence design elements, this for example, a stylized monster head made of two facing Makara heads:
    upload_2018-2-4_12-57-2.jpeg

Makaras are Hindu-Buddhist mythical animals, important protective symbols. The way they are depicted here is more Buddhist than Hindu.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  20. bw351

bw351 New Member

wow, thanks so much. very interesting to know this.

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted