Need Help: Identifying an old china cabinet

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by GarageSpace2024, Apr 10, 2024.

1. GarageSpace2024

GarageSpace2024 New Member

Hello All,

I joined due to cleaning out the garage and risking conflict with my wife over an old China Cabinet that is taking up way too much space and effectively being neglected. She wants to keep it forever and insists it is very old and valuable and an heirloom piece, while I think that it may be quality, but unlikely as old or valuable as she claims (especially since it's just left in the garage near the trash cans without ample cover/security).

Anyhow, I hope some of the experts here can assist in giving us a clue on what this is, perhaps where to find parts/guidance on restoration (if it's deemed "worth it") and once-and-for-all let us both know what we're dealing with so there can again be peace (and more garage space!).

Thanks in advance!

Basics:
    - It appears to be oak
    - It appears to be older
    - Craftsmanship is decent, but perhaps not artisan
    - There is black stenciled ink with the numbers "3600" stamped a few times, but no labels or manufacturer markings
    - There are some wax crayon type markings (mostly blue, and perhaps pink or white)
    - There are some pencil scribbles
    - Hardware appears old
    - There is a piece that is sitting with this stuff that I don't believe belongs anywhere near it

Edited to Add:
    - Wife got it off of Craigslist in Texas, USA. No background, she just liked it. It's been here 5 or 6 years.
    - All together, it's likely 7-8' tall, 4.5' wide, and maybe 20" deep
    - It is completely disassembled. :|
    Photos incoming... IMG_9970.jpg IMG_9971.jpg IMG_9972.jpg IMG_9973.jpg IMG_9974.jpg IMG_9975.jpg IMG_9976.jpg IMG_9977.jpg IMG_9978.jpg IMG_9979.jpg

Last edited: Apr 10, 2024
  2. GarageSpace2024

More photos... IMG_9980.jpg IMG_9981.jpg IMG_9982.jpg IMG_9983.jpg IMG_9984.jpg

komokwa likes this.
  3. GarageSpace2024

And photos of the piece that I don't believe belongs, but could be very wrong... IMG_9985.jpg IMG_9986.jpg IMG_9987.jpg IMG_9988.jpg IMG_9989.jpg IMG_9990.jpg IMG_9992.jpg IMG_9993.jpg

4. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Is it completely disassembled? I'm having trouble interpreting all the photos.
    And the second set of photos of that drawer doesn't look like it belongs.
    From the bits I can see, it looks 1940s-ish, mass-produced, decent quality, but not particularly valuable.
    But do wait for the more knowledgeable furniture gurus to happen along.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2024
    Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

u failed to mention it's in pieces...:hilarious:

it's hard to make heads or tail of....but from what I can see....... 1950's...maybe...and looks like it would be a pig to re-assemble ....

but...
    happy wife
    happy life...

so there is that to consider !:playful:

Marote and sabre123 like this.
  6. GarageSpace2024

Yes, she bought it disassembled and it has been as such since. And agreed RE: 2nd set of photos. Those wooden knobs, dovetails, and no apparent mounting place for it make me think it doesn't belong at all. It does have "3600" penciled on it, but not stamped/stenciled like the rest.

Thanks for responding and looking forward to others who can help!

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. komokwa

I can't see where the drawers would fit into the cabinet....they look a different style ..

8. GarageSpace2024

Other than not having an assistant to assemble it, it is pretty straight forward... 3/4" or 1" dowels, back appears to slide in, and the just needs 14 arms to hold it all together whilst setting the top of it 7' in the air!

And of course, Happy Wife, Happy Life... that's somewhat why I am here. If it's worth it, I'll get it all fixed up AND get some garage space back. Ha!

Figtree3, Marote and komokwa like this.
  9. komokwa

and insists it is very old and valuable and an heirloom piece,...................

I ..... imho.....don't see how it falls into any of those categories ..

Heirloom...had me thinking it has been in your family for generations....:wideyed::wideyed::wacky:

Marote likes this.
  10. komokwa

u may get garage space back.......& us guys luv that.....but u ' will ' lose house space..!
    a thing to consider !!

11. GarageSpace2024

:dead: I don't have any desire to explain heirloom to her - if you know what I mean.

12. GarageSpace2024

If this beast goes in the house, the abomination of a hutch/cabinet in there now gets to become firewood or mulch so it should balance out. :D

Marote and komokwa like this.
  13. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Hello GS2024 and welcome. I have the opposite problem, I have cluttered up my garage with all of MY crap that I can't seem to part with. I am my worst enemy.

14. komokwa

good luck my friend.... u do indeed have a balancing act to perform..;):)

GarageSpace2024 likes this.
  15. GarageSpace2024

Secretly, that's part of my mission. Replace disassembled furniture currently littering it with proper projects I can work on. :D

Marote, komokwa and sabre123 like this.
  16. komokwa

my car has not seen the inside of my garage since...... 4 ever.....
    and most.....of what's there is indeed ''' my crap ''''...! Sigh...:(

17. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Looks like an old French walnut armoire that has had the doors fitted with glass. It my be antique or nearly so. Also not sure how the drawers would fit.

18. GarageSpace2024

Interesting, never thought of that (retrofitted glass). The base (picture included below) actually has a drawer integrated. Not dovetailed joinery, but original. Those other drawers never looked right to me and seems the consensus here is the same. IMG_9971.jpg

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  19. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Educating myself... French or French-style? I'd been thinking it was in the French country-style.

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  20. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

This is a European style armoire so it may well be French. Just not a period example.

Was wondering if the extra drawers might fit somewhere behind the doors?

Figtree3 and bluumz like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted