Featured Need help identifying strange looking teapot/kettle.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by PaulaWollney, Dec 1, 2016.

1. PaulaWollney

PaulaWollney New Member

First of all, I do apologize for the poor quality photos but it's all that was sent to me.
    I'm trying to help a dear friend identify what and where this item is from.

The first thing I noticed was the wizard looking man. I also tried looking up the marking on the top but no luck. Not sure if it's a symbol or letter in a different language.

Any help or guidance at all would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!'

IMG_3757.JPG IMG_3758.JPG IMG_3759.JPG

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Best Answer
    I think it's a modern version of a Bartmann krug or Bartmann jug, also called a Bellarmine. There may be a maker's mark on the bottom.

3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome! :)
    The 'potties' will be by soon to help you. :)

lauragarnet and PaulaWollney like this.
  4. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I don't think it is a teapot - looks more like a flagon/pitcher for a beverage such as ale, etc.

5. PaulaWollney

PaulaWollney New Member

Thank you!!!

lauragarnet and KingofThings like this.
  6. PaulaWollney

PaulaWollney New Member

Great! That's a start! Thanks for your time!

lauragarnet likes this.
  7. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I think the symbol at the top might be a fraternal or occupational mark although I couldn't find one that matched. Almost certainly German (based on decoration and what looks like a stein lid mechanism). I agree with Mansons2005 - a flagon rather than a teapot. Can't tell much more without better pictures. Most important is a shot of the bottom. Interesting piece!
    Don

8. say_it_slowly

Best Answer
    I think it's a modern version of a Bartmann krug or Bartmann jug, also called a Bellarmine. There may be a maker's mark on the bottom.

9. PaulaWollney

PaulaWollney New Member

So helpful! You guys are absolutely right! Now my google searches are getting warmer with all your help. Thanks a bunch!!!

10. PaulaWollney

PaulaWollney New Member

Thank you!!!!

11. say_it_slowly

It's hard to see the symbol clearly but it looks a little Masonic.

lauragarnet and komokwa like this.
  12. PaulaWollney

PaulaWollney New Member

Thank you so much!!!
    I've found the exact item online with the info you provided!

"Replica bearded jug (Bellarmine). Model 38. Made by Reinhold Merkelbach as a copy of an original Bellarmine jug which is in the Kunsgewerbemuseum in Cologne.
    Reinhold Merkelbach 'designed' a series of 45 reproduction Bellarmine jugs in the 1910 to 1920 era, all copies of original Bellarmine jugs that were in museums in Germany."

13. say_it_slowly

14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

There's only one problem with that jug; it's empty.

15. PaulaWollney

PaulaWollney New Member

Absolutely!!!!

KingofThings likes this.
  16. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

I was thinking a salt glazed Merz. Glad you knew. Good call.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

@Msalicia ...before posting , look at the bottom left hand of the last post....or even the 1st post.
    There you will find the date of the post!
    You just answered a post from 3 and a half years ago , and the poster Paula has not been seen here since then..........

Better to stick to newer threads.....where folks are likely still to be around..!
    ;););)...:):)

janetpjohn likes this.
  18. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

This thread is from before my time. I found it very interesting & would not have seen it if Msalicia had not revived it. Why do people get so exercised when someone adds something to a thread that has passed its sell by date?

19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Easy now..... I'm only educating a new member.....
    There's a thousand threads here you'll never see......
    It's fine when some one new....or old....adds valuable information to any thread...new or old...but when they add things of a personal nature like " Glad you knew. Good call.", as if they expect it to be seen and enjoyed by a member who hasn't been here in YEARS........
    Well , then maybe they should be informed as to how to recognize a dead thread.... that the OP , will never answer !!!

It's one of the helpful things I do here when ever I come across this sort of thing and I believe it to be a learning experience to new posters unfamiliar with the way this site works !

& I do not take kindly being judged for my efforts ................

Bronwen likes this.
  20. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

In my opinion a thread never passes its sell by date. It is never as antique as the item shown.:playful:
    Information, later updates on information, or a show of gratitude for information posted are always welcome.
    I hadn't seen this thread either, and love bellarmines, so thank you @Msalicia and Bronwen.:)

kyratango, Bakersgma, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  21. PortableTreasures

PortableTreasures Active Member

I really enjoyed reading this thread--not having seen it before, either. Always such a pleasure to see people's expertise showcased when something is IDed like this was.

kyratango, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted