Need Help with Italian Pottery Marks

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Sep 10, 2015.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello everyone - I'm putting a call out to Walter on a couple of Italian pottery pieces. They are both marked but I can't find much out about them. The first is a 6 1/2" bowl that I think is signed Morelli, Capri. The second is a 7 1/8" plate with GBT in a triangle and an impressed mark that I can't make out. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!
    Don

IMG_20150910_163044355.jpg IMG_20150910_163052638.jpg IMG_20150910_170647861.jpg IMG_20150910_170659099.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  2. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

I checked Walter Del Pellegrino's book and I did not see your marks. Capri is probably where the first bowl was made. There are so many shops on Capri, it could be the name of shop. When you walk through the tourist area in Capri, it's like walking through a life size kaleidoscope.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pot...X&ved=0CE4Q7AlqFQoTCKndzP6i78cCFQVwPgodEV8N8w

On the second piece, try doing a pencil rub with a piece of paper over the impressed mark. It looks deep enough to get something. Sometimes, if it's deep enough, putting some Cinnamon on it will make it more visible.

3. fidbald

fidbald Well-Known Member

4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Interesting! Thanks for the article on Morelli. I'll have to see if I can translate it. On the GBT piece, the more I look at that impressed mark the more I think it says made in Italy.

Don

Draft saved Draft deleted