Nippon "Hand Painted", Identify Pattern, Help Request

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by John R, May 22, 2024.

1. John R

John R Member

Does anyone know what Nippon pattern this is?
    I have image-searched Google and also eBay with no luck. I also text-searched eBay for nippon covered bowl, etc. but no luck.
    IMG_20240522_091649103_small.jpg IMG_20240522_091643557 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20240522_091710832.jpg

Last edited: May 22, 2024
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Hi John can you show us a picture of the markings and a more complete look at the item? Nippon is a name of Japan in the early 1900s and not a maker.

Any Jewelry and John R like this.
  3. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

4. John R

John R Member

Thank you so much Marote. The marks on mine say 'Nippon', the one you linked to says 'Meito China', I'm guessing they are related somehow, but that example is a definite match.

Marote likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

From Gotheborg:

In 1908 Nagoya Seito Sho Company was founded by Kotero Asukai, former employee of Noritake. Other Noritake artisans were soon to follow to the new company why this porcelain might bear a close resemblance to Noritake porcelain. Their porcelain was also sold as Meito China. During the WWII the company was sold and the name changed to Narumi Seito Sho. The Meito China mark continued to be used after WWII with variations in the crown logo mark. Some porcelain with Meito China marks are found with the addition "Made in occupied Japan".

Draft saved Draft deleted