Featured *Nun Habit Rosary with Skull & Bones Crucifix ❤️Maven

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Vintage Maven, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Vintage Maven

Vintage Maven Well-Known Member

This is a Nun’s habit rosary that features some carved black wooden beads, a medal of Virgin Mary, and a rare Skull & Bones Crucifix. The rosary’s hanging length is about 37 inches. The whole crucifix, with a wood inset cross, is about 2 1/2 inches wide, and 5 1/4 in length. This absolutely beautiful rosary crucifix is thought to be of early 1900’s origin, but we will be cautious, and say first half of the 1900’s, but it is certainly known that the very important symbolism of the skull and bones was used from the 1800’s till around the 1940’s, although less common at the mentioned later end of that timeframe. The Virgin Mary medal is thought to be of newer vintage. Regardless, I absolutely love it❤️ To have this is an honour. This actually belonged to a Sister. ❤️Maven

*if anyone has some thoughts etc on it, certainly please feel free to comment. I most gratefully welcome any helpful insight anyone may have, Thank You.*

480EEA15-DFAA-43E6-B453-B3B844E48A03.jpeg DEDF2DA9-08BC-4BC9-9C75-EACFCE373FE0.jpeg A0495719-5D2C-4F30-82B4-3796356B5B4A.jpeg 1B5F8AEA-7991-4196-A9B8-6C5B0F13CC2E.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Not old. I'd say it's some sort of Memento Mori piece, maybe meant for use at a funeral or afterward?

judy, Christmasjoy and Vintage Maven like this.
  3. Vintage Maven

Thank You @evelyb30 it is noted I’ve learned that these crosses were also used during time of war, were also called soldiers crosses. The Sister that this originally came from has been passed away for quite some time. That could explain it’s many purposes since, and it’s handing down. Thank You. I’m looking for some online, and there are some similar from 1940’s to 50’s, but nothing newer than that. We have no definitive proof unfortunately to mention of when it began its exact existence, I have also read many orders of Nuns had used this symbolism. ❤️Maven

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. evelyb30

What are the beads made of? If they're plastic they're post-WWII unless it's bakelite. The crucifix looks like it could be older, but the findings I can see and the medal both look almost new.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Vintage Maven

Hi @
    Hi @evelyb30 Initially the Sisters thought them wood beads, but I inspected further, and closer under magnification, I think they are plastic. This suggests to me, that the crucifix had to be removed from it’s original rosary bead configuration somewhere down the line, maybe because of damage to prior bead chain from age and use, that would most certainly be the logical line of thought. The crucifix has been a little tougher to exactly date, I have come across similar designs, that are close, but not exact, that span from the 1920’s to the 1940’s, the crucifix could be yet older, but I want to stick around later 1930’s or 1940’s to be safe. I need to further research until I find the exact one though. ❤️Maven

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Nuns care for their stufff !!!

judy and Vintage Maven like this.
  7. Vintage Maven

@komokwa This does come from a line of caring hands, I intend to care for it in the same manner, most certainly. There is tradition behind this. ❤️Maven

8. Vintage Maven

@evelyb30 I apologize, they are light wood beads. I inspected the whole chain, and I found a very small chip by the chain of one bead, the interior is definitely not plastic, they are finished and buffed. Whoops. I can’t show a proper magnification to you on here, but I was totally wrong. ❤️ Maven

I thought Father Komokwa @komokwa would be back on here telling me to say some Hail Mary’s for me being too quick to judgement on this. It was a rookie Sister error.

judy and komokwa like this.
  9. Vintage Maven

More interesting history of the skull and crossbones crucifix. I have read material about various orders of Carmelite Nuns wearing the crucifix, as well as various Nun orders in Canada wearing the skull and bones, particularly in the French Canadian Catholic orders, among others. ❤️Maven

Darkwing Manor and judy like this.
  10. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Hello! :) I have no information to add regarding your rosary, but I do have one of these crucifixes. I remember mine being a bit more worn (missing its INRI sign) and slightly larger - mine may be too large to be worn? I'll take a photo of it once I find which box it's it. Back when trying to do research on mine, I ran across this website which contained quite a bit of information - not sure how accurate any of it is though. http://www.rosaryworkshop.com/MUSEUM-CRUCIFIXES-MB-European.htm

11. Vintage Maven

Thank You so much @quirkygirl That is very much appreciated. I shall look at the link you so graciously posted as well.❤️Maven

judy, komokwa and quirkygirl like this.
  12. Vintage Maven

Thank You again @quirkygirl I checked out your link you had posted. Information on there seems to be consistent, and comparable to other material I have uncovered as well. ❤️Maven

judy and komokwa like this.
  13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Awww, Sister....t'is true thou art a rookie.....but to hasten an apology when the error of your ways was discovered..... now that shows maturity ...and grace !!

I see no need to pursue the matter further !! ;).

( nor am I in any capacity to tell you what to do !! ) :playful::playful::playful::playful:

Vintage Maven likes this.
  14. Vintage Maven

@komokwa Thank you for your grace and understanding, and humour. I’m thinking this rosary is further teaching me things I could have not foreseen. There is opportunity to learn around every corner. ❤️Maven

BoudiccaJones, judy and komokwa like this.
  15. quirkygirl

Found it :)
    Is yours white metal? I'm guessing this one is brass. Only slightly larger at 2¾" by 6¼", but lots of wear - especially at the hole for hanging.
    P1160086(1).JPG P1160089(1).JPG P1160090(1).JPG

16. Vintage Maven

@quirkygirl This is some photographic information I found that bears some similarity to my crucifix. My crucifix when you are looking at the series of photos is on the left, the other I found has a brief write up and the photos are on the right..this is the only information that seems close that I have found thus far, I guess I could have done a better job matching the photos lol. The workmanship appears similar, whether mine is of that same period, I don’t know, but it is quite possible it is early 1900’s. ❤️Maven (I love your crucifix by the way)

109E3033-97E1-4B46-AA91-6D06F60ECE6E.jpeg

17. quirkygirl

Yes, I would say yours is very similar to the one on the right. Is it a trick of the light or are both the scull (in scull and crossbones) on yours and the photographed one smiling? :)

Any Jewelry, judy and Vintage Maven like this.
  18. Vintage Maven

It could be a trick of the light (on the smiling), you could zoom in and get a closer look, and see, I’ve been looking at it too much to have a neutral eye anymore lol. But they appear fairly close, aging of either also is a factor. ❤️Maven

judy and quirkygirl like this.
  19. evelyb30

In a coincidence, I just shipped out a vintage brass mini rosary in a bitty brass container. It's probably about the same age. I'm too much of a Protestant to use one, but I did make one once for a friend.

20. Vintage Maven

@evelyb30 I just wanted to say Thank You for your responses in this thread. Everyone has, in one way or another, guided/influenced me on a research evening, and I quite enjoyed learning some history, and finding items that closely match along the way. I’m sure the research into this is possibly not over yet though. For the moment, I am enjoying the spiritual meaning and connection I have with it. ❤️Maven

Draft saved Draft deleted