Featured OAK FURNITURE AT BONHAMS SOLD!!!! WOW!!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Aquitaine, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Interesting that there's been some fancy oak furniture posted now and then, then I see this in the Arts & Antiques Weekly.....hopefully it just posts the one page!! Nope....pasted the whole magazine!!! Like Aaaarnold said "I be back".....OK...here tiz...

zArtsNAntiqW.jpg

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  2. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

This is all 16th and 17th century with provenance. The stuff I've seen here is all 19th and 20th, so there is a huge difference.

Aquitaine, Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  3. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

LOL! Someone is furnishing a castle!

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

what do ya even do with them?
    you can't sit on them....

5. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

They sit there & make a statement all on their own, so they don't need anyone to sit on them. :happy::happy::happy:

Christmasjoy, komokwa and SBSVC like this.
  6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Well, I have a highly carved tete-a-tete chair with angel heads and stuff and it just sits there looking beautiful. I don't care if I never sit on it.

Aquitaine and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Why not?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. James Conrad

These chairs were built by joiners with riven oak back in the day when only men or royalty sat in chairs, women & children sat on stools. There would be a cushion on the seat and sometimes on back as well to make it more comfy.

pewter2 and Aquitaine like this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

If I were to pay $50,000 US for a chair......I'd build a glass box around it....& rig it with an alarm system !!:eek:;);)

Aquitaine and James Conrad like this.
  10. James Conrad

LOL, yeah, i hear you but, these are "working" antiques and by that i mean they function/work pretty much the same today as they did the day they were built. The fact that these chairs survive is a testament to the joiners skills that built them.

11. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

My old landlord used a chair that looked very similar to the one on the right as his everyday desk chair. He called it his throne. He had no clue what it was or that it could be valuable until I asked him about it. A few months later he told me he had it appraised and even though it was worth A LOT of money, he had no plans to give up his throne. I moved out 10 years later and he was still using it.

James Conrad likes this.
  12. pewter2

pewter2 Well-Known Member

who do i kill for these.....fantastic pieces, out of my range.. but would go with my charles ii geometric moulded chest of drawers....ummmmm....pewter2

13. James Conrad

That Charles ll chair is called a "wainscot" chair in the USA. There are aprox 30 something 17th century american wainscot chairs known to exist & 25k, either dollars or pounds would not even be a down payment on an American wainscot chair. So in a sense, very good buy in my view as one can pick up early english oak chairs/furniture for much much less.
    Marhamchurch in Devon specializes in authentic early english oak with very reasonable prices with a half off sale every Xmas, if only they were American! :arghh:

https://www.marhamchurchantiques.com/current-stock/all/

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    pewter2 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted