Featured Oil on canvas - Artist help?

Discussion in 'Art' started by verybrad, Aug 16, 2021.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Just picked this up off ebay. Listed as unsigned but clearly signed lower right. 12" x 16" Frame is new. No clues on back. Signature looks like Ballor to me. Anyone see something different?

ballor.JPG ballor2.JPG ballor3.JPG ballor4.JPG ballor5.JPG ballor6.JPG ballor7.JPG

Aquitaine, Bronwen and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  2. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Think you got it right, Brad, and think it might say '71 below that in the grass...........

EDIT: I still think it might say '71 down in the grass, but now after balancing the colors in that corner, think it 'could' say "Ballon" VS "Ballor"....Personally I just don't think a person would change the style of letter they would write, i.e. the first 'a' in the name and the other vowel....which I think is an 'o' and is up for question whether an 'o' or an 'a'......SUCH is LIFE with ARTISTS!!!!

ballor7-color balanced-XX.jpg

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
  4. verybrad

Agree now that it is Ballon and the signature seems to match the 2 paintings Kronos posted. I am partial to mine over either of those. Was thinking CA but more likely Mediterranean based on the others. Not seeing the '71. You mean in yellow? Doubt an artist would switch color mid signature.

Disappointed it is not by a known artist but still like it a lot and love the frame.

Boland and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I have a hunch this is American. Those pine trees look like some that are native to Connecticut and the stretcher is clearly marked 12 and 16 (inches - bar size) and it looks like it was stretched onto that frame before it was painted. It might have been a good Sunday painter working from some photos of a trip to Europe, but I wouldn't think that just looking at it.

verybrad and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Like yours better too. South of France perhaps. Looks like Cap Ferrat.

Debora

cap-ferrat.jpg

verybrad, smallaxe and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  7. verybrad

Stretcher is definitely American. Have found a Luc Ballon with three paintings totally disparate in style. One was somewhat similar. Finding a French artist, Jean Ballon but finding no examples of work. Looked at a couple others on Worthpoint that seem to be by the same artist but no information provided.

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  8. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

It's funny - the signatures look the same, but the paintings look so different!

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Could these be department store paintings? That would explain everything. I wouldn't think it from how well this is done, but I know not much about art.

10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@verybrad, I didn't want to add this to the image above, but wanted you to see it separate if you can.....look HERE, then see if you think it's legitimately above......COULD be me just seeing more than what's actually there as well!!!:happy::happy:

ballor7-color balanced-XX.jpg

Boland likes this.
  11. verybrad

Have looked at that area and it just looks like foliage. Thought there might be a lower case E just above your oval but have discounted that as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted