Featured Old Amber Fob

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Nov 17, 2021.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Another damaged waif and stray.(Yeah, I know, but it’s how I can afford to learn :hilarious: and the gold ring is a bonus)
    I’m interested to know about this type of Amber please.
    It’s obviously pretty old and has been formed into the shape of a fob but the Amber on both sides is slightly mounded if that makes sense. A bit like lava that has cooled!
    The gold ring was attached and has an indecipherable mark on it. Does the ring date it?
    Thanks for any thoughts :)
    22864A06-39EA-4CA6-A99A-EBE1F916CF1D.jpeg 2FC229BB-CA3F-4CEF-9405-656069E6D306.jpeg 5DEEE5B4-14B4-467C-81BA-D0A6833C8808.jpeg 10D0AD8A-E926-4998-A1E3-B27F2D66DB52.jpeg FFBC81E4-B5F0-48A9-B9E7-32E8561BBBE7.jpeg 9069F94B-1E59-495D-B450-1431A7548529.jpeg

Bronwen, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It looks like pressed amber, but I wonder if it is English 'firestorm amber'.
    The ring is an early spring ring, maybe 1860-70.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
  3. Any Jewelry

4. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

You are amazing! I knew I’d seen something like this but couldn’t wring it out of my brain what it was called. Even if this isn’t it, I will remember it now. Off to Google it as it may give me some good search terms.

5. Any Jewelry

Striking name, isn't it.:playful: Beautiful amber too, I love that gnarly look.
    There is also 'golden firestorm amber', a cognac colour. Probably other shades too, but these are the only ones I know of.

singing, Bronwen, Houseful and 2 others like this.
  6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I was so excited about the Amber, that this piece info has only just registered.
    Wow, that’s 150/60 odd years old!
    I wonder if the ring and the Amber are contemporaries.
    Off to Google when Amber became popular……

7. Any Jewelry

I think they are.:)
    Amber became popular in pre-historic times, so you've got some wiggle room, timewise.;)

Bronwen, kyratango and KSW like this.
  8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Lol, I tried to find out when the Hastings Amber was discovered but no info uncovered as yet.

9. Any Jewelry

Did some googling and became confused by this info:

"Amber is often found in the shingle along the Suffolk coastline and the best time to do so is said to be after a storm, when new exposures can occur. The amber found in this area is known as ‘Hastings firestorm amber’ on account of the unique characteristic and colour produced by localised forest fires that took place during the Cretaceous period."
    https://www.countryfile.com/go-outd...-guide-on-where-and-how-to-hunt-for-treasure/

So amber found in Suffolk was named after a town in Sussex?:confused:

This article confirms that Suffolk amber is likely to have come from trees that had been in a fire (firestorm):
    http://www.aakz.com/British-and-Irish-amber.html
    It also mentions that amber was sold in Cromer, Norfolk in the 19th century. But it doesn't say if it was locally sourced amber, amber from Suffolk, or if it was Hastings firestorm amber.

kyratango, Bronwen, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  10. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

You can still find the odd piece of usual amber at Cromer. I was doing a vintage Fair near there a few years ago and a woman bought a silver fitting from me to make a pendant for a piece she had found on the beach. Best to go looking there after a big storm.
    I had never heard of firestorm amber though, so thanks ladies.

kyratango, Bronwen, KSW and 1 other person like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted