Featured Old(?) carved wood revolutionary British soldier statue, 2 paintings

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jan 21, 2023.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found these Friday when they came into a friend's thrift store. The paintings I got because they were nice, but the soldier statue was most interesting - what kind of wood is wavy like that?
    Is it old? (it has a old wasp/hornet's nest between it's legs so I figure it has some age (plus the screw holding the metal bar/support for a table is the old fashion slot screw)
    Was it hand made or a factory piece?

With the painting, can anyone make out the name? Thoughts on the painting?

ART STATUE WOOD SOLDIER BRITISH 1AA.jpg ART STATUE WOOD SOLDIER BRITISH 1AAA.jpg ART STATUE WOOD SOLDIER BRITISH 2AA.jpg ART STATUE WOOD SOLDIER BRITISH 3AA.jpg ART STATUE WOOD SOLDIER BRITISH 4AA.jpg ART STATUE WOOD SOLDIER BRITISH 5AAA.jpg ART STATUE WOOD SOLDIER BRITISH 6AA.jpg

ART PAINTING PARIS 1AA.jpg ART PAINTING PARIS 2AA.jpg ART PAINTING PARIS 5AAA.jpg

mirana, kyratango and Figtree3 like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Madeleine Church and flower market in Paris. A very common subject. I'd think a souvenir painting.

Debora

Unknown.jpg

Unknown.jpg

3. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

It's a total guess but I'd say Caribbean for the statue, perhaps a place with a colonial history with the British.

Wide-grained wood wood usually means a fast growing tree, so that makes me think of someplace warm and rainy.

mirana, LauraGarnet02 and Figtree3 like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It makes me think 1970s decorative. Could have been made anywhere as "rec room" decor, aka basement bar.

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  5. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

For the soldier try Witco or "Witco style".
    From the front it looks like he is wearing a crown, so maybe he is a king or a prince...?

mirana and Potteryplease like this.
  6. LauraGarnet02

Aha! I think I have figured it out, the slotted metal bar on front is for holding fireplace tools.
    EDIT: I'm having trouble finding pictures bigger than eBay thumbnails that lead to dead links. But here are a few examples of Witco fireplace tool holders.
    69132302_1_x (1).jpg
    s-l300 (1) (3).jpg
    e44d8f435c4ebad3988452e96be31810--vintage-fireplace-fireplace-tools.jpg

Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
  7. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Dunno 'bout Witco, but it appears to have been roughly (chainsaw?) carved, then sandblasted...leaving the harder winter grain proud. There's a lot of that here in the Northwest, 'tho not of the British soldier but of Sasquatch, bears, beavers and Timber Beasts...loggers...often from Western Red Cedar.

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  8. LauraGarnet02

wlwhittier, mirana and Potteryplease like this.
  9. LauraGarnet02

The statue was probably made in the 1970s for the bicentennial craze.

mirana and Potteryplease like this.
  10. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

Chain saw work... now that's an interesting category-- one we don't see here on Antiquers very often.:bored:

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I am not seeing a British uniform, of any period.
    It looks more like a giant nutcracker doll, which sometimes have those crown-like hats.

12. LauraGarnet02

I think you nailed that @Any Jewelry ! Toy soldier from the nutcracker suite.

Oh I would love to get my hands on old witco decor catalogs. I read on a historical society site last night that his daughter has a treasure trove of witco catalogs that she brought to a presentation she did for them. She has her own website which I have lost the link to, but maybe @journeymagazine could contact her and see if this guy is in the catalogs.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  13. journeymagazine

I don't see a chainsaw carving but I do see a 'redcoat' soldier - but with my history I wouldn't bet on me!
    Thanks all.

14. journeymagazine

That makes sense!

15. LauraGarnet02

Draft saved Draft deleted