Old Copper Pot, dovetailed, confused about age etc

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by say_it_slowly, Jan 16, 2015.

1. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I found this really heavy well used pot, 9" in diameter with a 10" handle. It has dovetails around the bottom and along the front as well as rivets on the handle. I've seen similar pots called 19th C but frankly I have no idea. The are no maker's marks I can find unless the little mark on one inside rivet is something. It weighs a ton.

Any way to tell age or much of anything?

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

That construction is generally quite old. It may have carried on a bit later in the Middle East.

There doesn't seem to be much of a market other as #2 scrap.

3. say_it_slowly

It'd be a shame to see it scrapped. Maybe it'll go into the pile of waiting to become popular stuff.

kyratango and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
  4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Am I the only one who collects these heavy copper pots? I have 8 or 9 but tell you the truth, I do not cook with them any more. I still use my Gram's cast iron skillet and Dutch oven but use my Farberware and Corning white almost daily.
    greg

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  5. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Oh not scrap, old copper will be very popular again ;) I like it :)

jrcmillett likes this.
  6. spirit-of-shiloh

Looks like a TP or FP and a 2 on the rivet.

7. spirit-of-shiloh

8. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Gotta be careful dating stuff like this. For example this one http://ancientpoint.com/inf/94274-a...___dovetailed_construction___early_1800s.html
    shows no signs of use at all on the bottom-has a few brand-new scratches, but if this had been used for any period of time, the soft copper bottom would be covered with fine, random scratches because stoves, grates etc. that they'd be set on while in use were usually iron or maybe even sometimes, stones. Also on that one the "yellow" solder is perfectly flat and in new condition. The pot at this link has either never been used or used very little and I'm guessing was made this century.

OP's has been used somewhat-the solder in bottom joints is oxidized and some has leached out probably due to heat. I am thinking due to very similar solder job including color, flatness etc. on the side joint of both OP's and above-linked items, they both come from the same place. OP's may date way back into 20th C. sometime but I would doubt earlier. These same exact designs are still in use in some places and these items most likely come from one or more such places. JMHO-I know nothing about kitchenware.

9. say_it_slowly

I do find copper pots confusing and I guess others have too. There seems to be a lot of variation in what people say the age of their pieces are and maybe it goes with the nature of hand made.

My pot has been used quite a lot as much of the tin lining is wearing away but you can use a pot a lot in a few years especially if you stick it over a fire. It seems of better quality than some of the copper I've had from Turkey(?) but hand made items can vary hugely in quality.

I just weighed it and it's about 3½ lbs. so I must have been feeling especially weak yesterday. It's still pretty heavy for cooking in.

There are lots of re-enactors in this area. I wonder if this might have been a camp prop for some Civil War buffs.

Draft saved Draft deleted