Featured Old Laquer Pencil? Case With Ship Scene

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by kraftblue, May 24, 2015.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Picked this up this past weekend. Measures 8 3/4" long, stands 1 1/8" tall and is 2 1/2" wide. Has original owners name. Seller says it was her husbands aunt...the lady herself was older. Is it a pencil case or maybe a little jewelry box? Has a lock but no key. She also said the scene era is when the original owner had this when new.

Kath

pencil1.JPG pencil2.JPG pencil3.JPG pencil4.JPG pencil5.JPG pencil6.JPG pencil7.JPG

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

That's nice.....wait'll King sees it !!!:woot:

3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

YES!!! All over it!!! :)

4. KingofThings

No clue for certain but since it locks perhaps shipboard writing kit or tattoo tools, scrimshaw tools... :wideyed:
    Whatever you decide to do with it I'm interested. :)

5. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

I've seen a similar one of these which was advertised as being for pencils.

The lock looks like you could find a key for it pretty easily if you wanted to.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

7. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Dimensions and décor would fit in with a naval officer's or merchant master's "navigation kit." Would hold dividers, a drawing compass, spare leads, etc. I still have mine-similar dimensions- although it is a leather/wood/velvet-lined manufactured item by K&E. The instruments are gone from yours but the item could have been sold without them, probably available in Japanese and maybe other Asian ports-of-call.

Modern manuf'd ones are kinda of like this one pulled off the web:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2015
    KingofThings likes this.
  8. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Thanks Springfield!

KingofThings likes this.
  9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Nice image on it --and good for Memorial Day. Today is that U.S. holiday, for those who don't know.

komokwa and KingofThings like this.
  10. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

The image is circa 1895-1900. Just a tiny bit pre Great White Fleet period I would guess.

The case is a typical pencil case of the period, I've seen dozens had a few, the graphics making this example stand head and shoulders above the rest...Bully!....

This one is nicer than most in other ways also. The lock isn't seen all that often, though not rare, and the interior looks nicely fit. Condition is nice too.

With no Red White and Blue showing maybe not American market originally?
    The pennants are GREEN white and red, correct?

11. KingofThings

Not are that they are actually green for the water appears green to me too so perhaps they were blue and now not or it's the photos.

12. KingofThings

Oh my. I hope all that are of the USA do know and that this day honors those who gave all in service.
    RIP in peace all. :(

Pat P, komokwa, jackolin and 2 others like this.
  13. KingofThings

This sounds right and I am humbled to you for offering this option for I have at least 2 sets of such and didn't think of it. :)

14. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

You will be happy to know that many in the US do realize the meaning of this Memorial Day and commemorate it appropriately.

15. KingofThings

:) Glad to hear it Fig! I will see some of them shortly and I hope you are more than correct!
    It sometimes (often) irks me that people are given off work, with pay, to observe same and don't while some veterans, many maybe, don't have the appropriate days off. :p

Pat P, komokwa and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted