Featured Pair of gold bangles - where from?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by aaroncab, May 5, 2018.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Found this pair at the thrift today for 5 bucks - could tell there were marks but didn't see what they were till I got them out of the store. They are the same design and about the same size, but marked differently. One is marked 333 - for 8K I assume - The other is marked 750(18K I assume) - with another mark next to it I can't make out. The 8K one is slightly smaller in diameter by a mm or two. Seems odd that 2 that seem like a pair would be found together with different fineness. The 18K one weighs 6 grams and the 8K one weights 3.5 grams. They are both slightly out of round...but not badly. About 3" in diameter. Will try to get better pics of the marks but they are tiny!

Does anyone know the maker or perhaps even country of origin. I know from googling that 333(8K) isn't a US standard - probably European? Are these sellable or should they head to the scrapper? Thanks much once again!

~

40109536850_de56a80bf9_kdev.jpg 41916714461_4f4b51a194_kdev.jpg 28045925588_b4f7e374ff_kdev.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

last time i looked bangles were still in fashion......

Christmasjoy, pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  3. aaroncab

Are you sure - last time I heard them on the radio was like 1988.

4. komokwa

:):)

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  5. aaroncab

Seriously though - as my wife could attest - I have no sense of fashion or style - so I figured I'd better ask.

6. komokwa

I wouldn't melt em......

Christmasjoy, judy and aaroncab like this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Are you sure it's 333 & not 585?

8. aaroncab

Hmmmm...let me break out my loopy-loupe.

9. Bronwen

Is that Little Latin loopy-loupe?

10. aaroncab

Yes - pretty sure - all three numbers look the same - if I stare a long time they all start to look like 5's but, the middle one doesn't look like an 8. So I'm pretty sure 333.

EDIT - Gonna just say that after staring at it some more - I supposed it could be 585 - but I still lean towards 333. Really hard to tell.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  11. aaroncab

She's my little latin loopy loupe - there aint no mark she couldn't view!

judy likes this.
  12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

This is just a computer screen enlargement that I cropped after......

zNMBRS on BANGLE.jpg

Christmasjoy and aaroncab like this.
  13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Pretty sure aaroncab's right.....three 3's........

zTHREESaa.jpg

14. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

That facetted design was everywhere when bangles were a thing about 30 years ago, and that is why they look like a pair.
    I'd scrap them, you would make a handsome profit, the gold buyer would check the actual composition, so no comebacks, and any premium you'd make retail over the gold value would not be worth the extra trouble.

Christmasjoy, aaroncab and judy like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They could be Italian, in which case it is best to check if the gold content is right. Overhere this specific faceted look was popular in the 60s-70s, that was probably the same in Italy. If it caught on later outside Continental Europe, they would have continued manufacture.
    Thin bangles are still worn. I don't think they are ever really out of fashion. Indians, Pakistani and people from the Middle East wear gold bangles, but they generally don't consider 8k (333) as gold.

16. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Bracelets are cool and I think Bangles are still very much on trend.
    Walk Like An Egyptian -- now I can't get that song out of my head.

komokwa, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  17. Bronwen

You could replace it with Steve Martin's 'King Tut'.

18. Bronwen

That was my immediate impression, based on the shape of the cartouches around the numbers. Italy used to settle for 800 silver, but would not even regard metal with a fineness of only 333 as gold. I can't think of any country that marks 333.

19. Bronwen

upload_2018-5-6_11-32-54.png

I can certainly see it as 333, but also as a badly formed 585. Call me biased, but I'm inclined to go with a mark I've seen many times before rather than one I've never seen.

20. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I can think of two, Germany and Italy.:) I'm a bit closer to the source, I guess, I see a lot of 333 gold from Germany and Italy in auctions. I also see a lot of 333 gold Bohemian garnet jewellery, but that could have been made in Germany.
    Germany used to punches the numbers, or not mark at all, Italy uses the 333 in a cartouche mark.

Draft saved Draft deleted